Rushdie is smart. Smug and probably a bit of a bastard, but smart.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would never have friends or girlfriends who are as smart or smarter. He must love the gushing masses.

Padma will be in the remake of The Ten Commandments they are showing on Passover night. Not only can we cattily critique her acting, but the whole spectacle promises to be campy.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sorry to have to upset this applecart, but rushdie has been married before to very smart women. his second marriage ended at least partly because of fatwa related stress--that marriage was to marianne wiggins, not exactly a lightweight herself.

edit: and let me add that third wife elizabeth west is an editor, and that first wife clarissa luard* was not an intellectual lightweight either, and that he has also been involved with other very smart women. but, by all means, please continue judging people entirely by looks and fragmentary interviews.

*further edit: not that he was very nice to ms. luard in "the satanic verses".

Edited by mongo_jones
Good news! Nigella is coming to Food Network.

Jamie's production company also produced/es Barefoot Contessa. They have nothing to do with Giada's, which is an in=house production.

What's she going to do?

FWIW, I like Nigella. And How To Eat is a good cookbook.

Smart and shallow are not mutually exclusive.

Words of wisdom.

Neither are smart and insane or smart and mean(obviously) or even smart and having no common sense.

It's just there's no correlation at all between these things IMO.

Smart and shallow are not mutually exclusive.

Words of wisdom.

Neither are smart and insane

Some say that artistic genius and insanity are different in name only.

Hmmm. Let me think about that one......uh, you may have something there :(

well, at worst she seems a bit of a cipher.

i found the comparison referenced in this bit to be more revealing about attitudes to lakshmi:

Perhaps as a defence mechanism against the accusations of crude ambition that have been directed at her, Lakshmi is loth to admit ever having had ambitions at all: indeed, when I ask how she feels about pieces in the British media comparing her to Vanity Fair's social-climbing protagonist Becky Sharp, she asks, surely disingenuously, "Who's Becky Sharp?"
Still beats Rachel Ray and her fried hot dog pizza!

Fried. Hot dog. Pizza.

That's terrifying, and I like hot dogs.

What, did she get product placement $$$ from Oscar Meyer?

Edited to add oblig. Giada content: all I can remember from the one time I saw her on TV is when she took her mother shopping for custom-made shoes. And I thought, "Are you going to eat that?"

c