eGullet.com founder Jason Perlow retires

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think about it, you can more or less make an educated guess as to why this came about.  :(

I would have thought it was over Shaw's salary. If I were Perlow, I'd have him kneecapped.

Incidentally, who voted for Shaw's salary package? It would be interesting to know who, apart from Shaw, felt that he merited it.

It's all too personal..his weight, his food choices, his wife. Leave it alone. Geez, he might be reading this. Have a heart. His great fault, as far as any of us should care, is that he let a great website just become a good website...other than that...let it go.

edited to add that I myself have a great personal dislike for a person that some of you still seem to engage in on OA...so I do get the personal side of it. I would never knowingly join any conversation or event that SP was a part of....and perhaps someof you feel the same way about JP...but just avoid them, don't get involved in what you have determined to be a negative aspect on the internet food world. just my 2 cents. of course! :(

Did people see this announcement:

"We regret to announce that Rosie Saferstein has decided to step down from her manager and host duties to pursue personal work projects. Rosie was a founding affiliate of eGullet.com, and has tirelessly supported the Society through all of its growth and exciting change.

We will miss Rosie's contributions to the management team, but we look forward to seeing her in our forums and continue to value her participation here."

How depressing it must be to be one of the founders/early supporters of the site, and to be thus relegated. :(

And I set forth the "pre-retirement" notice of J Perlow:

"Jason Perlow, one of the founders of eGullet.com and a director, officer and staffer of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, announced today that he's taking a leave of absence from his Society duties. Satisfying the demands of his outside business ventures will be followed by a much-needed, much-deserved vacation. With great appreciation for his years of selfless service on behalf of the organization, we wish him well and look forward to seeing him back soon."

It's like a vacation to Siberia... :(

Has it occurred to anybody that these two just might be sick of staring at a computer screen all day and night and are anxious to pursue other things, like any other normal person? For heavens sake: how many jobs have we all done and left in our lives??? What's the big deal? I don't get it.

Has it occurred to anybody that these two just might be sick of staring at a computer screen all day and night and are anxious to pursue other things, like any other normal person? For heavens sake: how many jobs have we all done and left in our lives??? What's the big deal? I don't get it.

Yes, they've decided to spend some time in Mexico. You know, like Leon Trotsky.

jschyun, your comment is now moot. Perhaps you should delete it.

No, it's not moot.

It's not moot because you folks continue to stew in your own bile. It's not moot because you folks have no class, no self-control, no sense of decency, no moral compass, and your ugliness spills over into the forums as predictably and unavoidably as indigestion after bad sushi.

It's not moot because the many cool, interesting, accomplished, generous and funny people, who under different circumstances would make this place a pleasure to be in, cannot overcome the garbage heaped into these forums, making Mouthfuls one of the most vile little sites on the net.

Right on, jschyun, for both your original and revised statements.

Now, y'all might say, "Geez, ivan, if you don't like what you read here, just go somewhere else."

Excellent idea! I will do just that.

Did people see this announcement:

"We regret to announce that Rosie Saferstein has decided to step down from her manager and host duties to pursue personal work projects. Rosie was a founding affiliate of eGullet.com, and has tirelessly supported the Society through all of its growth and exciting change.

We will miss Rosie's contributions to the management team, but we look forward to seeing her in our forums and continue to value her participation here."

Yes, and good for Rosie...she was a great host.

jschyun, your comment is now moot. Perhaps you should delete it.

No, it's not moot.

It's not moot because you folks continue to stew in your own bile. It's not moot because you folks have no class, no self-control, no sense of decency, no moral compass, and your ugliness spills over into the forums as predictably and unavoidably as indigestion after bad sushi.

It's not moot because the many cool, interesting, accomplished, generous and funny people, who under different circumstances would make this place a pleasure to be in, cannot overcome the garbage heaped into these forums, making Mouthfuls one of the most vile little sites on the net.

Right on, jschyun, for both your original and revised statements.

Now, y'all might say, "Geez, ivan, if you don't like what you read here, just go somewhere else."

Excellent idea! I will do just that.

Ivan? What did we do to you? There is no bile here. We are not vile either. Can you point me to the vile posts? My vile posts? I post under my own name with my own opinions. Perhaps you can disagree with me but not because I was vile or lacked self-control or whatever else you are claiming I am. Same with most if not all others here. Disagreements are in the nature of a community. N'est pas? There is no use in putting all in the same little boat.

On the subject of the thread, I think many people here are rushing to judgement with entirely few facts at their disposal. The widespread assumption that Jason has been forced off the site is probably way off the mark.

Having met Jason (and Rachel) and had some private communication with him (way back then ...) it would be my guess that he has finally realised that he cannot exercise any control or influence over Shaw, and simply wants to get away from him.

I would assume that Jason has decided for himself to leave the site, whilst retaining his ownership rights in case those ever become worth money. That is exactly the right decision for him, and probably for the site and its members.

I would assume that Jason has decided for himself to leave the site, whilst retaining his ownership rights in case those ever become worth money. That is exactly the right decision for him, and probably for the site and its members.

And the trump card is that all the bodies are buried on hard drives in his basement. :(