home remodeling and effects on value

I'm curious. why did you go with the unfinished flooring? You save on cost, but labor increases.

RE the dust: sheet off any open doorways. cover whatever you can. Our floors were factory finished, so just entailed the regular cutting needed for installation. We were diligent covering thisngs, and bought some really soft feather dusters..its just a process of starting from the top down, letting it settle, and va cuum. then repeat, maybe 2-3 times. I have referred clients to services that charged aprox $200, but it can be done by anyone willing. when you dust, it takes a while for it to settle...so its an all day job, but not a constant effort.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we went for the sand and finish because we liked the look of it better than the pre-finished wood we saw. also, our final estimate for sand and finish (wood plus install) was cheaper than the cheapest pre-finished install. there were other reasons but i forget what they were.

the hippie-dude is doing our ceilings and electrical. i am happy to report that he has shown up reliably so far and has been tearing through the work. he's already peeled off all of the popcorn in the living and dining area and expects to have re-finished the ceilings there by tomorrow. on wednesday mrs. jones, who watches too much hgtv for my good, will begin painting the living/dining walls (with guidance from aging hippie who will be de-popcorning the bedrooms). he's a cool guy--he's throwing in some stuff for us because he's there and its easy. he's also going to fix the backyard gate and be our on-call carpentry guy for needs that may arise. i may ask him to assist with my raised bed construction for the vegetable garden if i go that route.

Are they installing the wood floor and then sanding it on site? Because if that is the case, you are talking about a lot of dust. A lot. Will you already be living in the space when this happens, with all your stuff there?

You might want to borrow or rent a shopvac, depending...

And is the floor just sanded, and then left unfinished, not sealed in any way? What's "sand and finish?"

Well that's good - I mean that you won't be living there there for the sanding.

I think you can do the vaccuuming yourselves, per Kim's advice, but you should get a shopvac.

Do they expect you to clean up the dust between the time they sand and the time they do the finishing? What kind of finish?

Make sure your paint is very dry before they start sanding the floors.

i'll have to check with the wood dude. he didn't say anything about our having to make sure the dust is taken off between sand and finish. i assumed he was suggesting people we could use for clean-up after.

So what's the finish?

eh? the staining and protective coat application and whatnot, i assume. "sand and finish" is the term about 5 separate contractors used to describe the process, so i assume i am not making it up. these folks even offer a certification in it.

the clean-up mystery will be resolved when we talk to the guy in the next few days.

So what's the finish?

eh? the staining and protective coat application and whatnot, i assume. "sand and finish" is the term about 5 separate contractors used to describe the process, so i assume i am not making it up.

We're wondering what kind of stain and protective coat...

I would strongly suggest that you hold off painting untilt he floors are completed.

What was the final wood you decided on for the floors? Oak? mahogany? Are they doing a natural stain, or a wood stain? Try to choose something close to the natural color of the wood, otherwise the scratches will show up more..and every one will tell you it won't scratch, has a "hardenss rating " of xyz, etc...but everything other than perhaps a brazillian hardwood solid surface, is going to scratch a bit...without kids and pets, probably nominally..but still, to minimize the appearance of these inevitable marks, match your woods and stains.

It sounds like you have found a good all round handyman person...give him a tip and a bottle of his favorite beverage when the work is done, you don't want to loose him!

I would strongly suggest that you hold off painting untilt he floors are completed.

I disagree. Have the missus cover the floors well, taping/papering around the edges, and then cover with good painter's tarps. That way, any "ooops" will be sanded off prior to staining/sealing.