You will be pleased to hear that although the Savoy Grill requests jackets they no longer insist judging from the number of jacketless customers when we were there.

I'm surprised they even request jackets since Wareing took over. He announced that he was going to make it much more casual.

You will be pleased to hear that although the Savoy Grill requests jackets they no longer insist judging from the number of jacketless customers when we were there.

I'm surprised they even request jackets since Wareing took over. He announced that he was going to make it much more casual.

Everything comes on a trolley and they fillet fish at the table. That's proper posh, that is.

"That's fine. Just as long as you don't expect trousers."

At my alma mater, jacket and tie were required for Sunday dinner. Guys routinely showed up with jacket and tie but no shirt.

Many years ago, at restaurants that required jackets and ties for men, pants were often considered inappropriate for ladies.

I was wearing a fashionable outfit that included a mid-thigh length top with matching pants. It was also the heyday of mini-skirts. When I was told that I wasn't appropriately attired, I took off my pants. We were seated without further ado.

Here in Denver/Boulder, I think I can count the number of "jackets required" restaurants on one hand. Maybe one finger.

In fact, since I almost invariably wear collared polos and slacks, or similar fashion, I often feel too dressy in some very nice restaurants.

once at Wilton's where the maitre d' insisted on a casually well-dressed American donning the most tasteless jacket and tie I have ever seen    :(

I've always thought the hideous loaner jacket/tie was a deliberate move on the restaurants part to stigmatize those foolish enough to disobey their dress code...

I can vouch for that, having been stigmatized in my early days on a business trip to L.A.. I'll never forget the smirk on that m___________'s face when he told me that tweed and elbow patches were "very New England."

I like getting dressed for dinner, although the whole jacket thing is kinda arbitrary. I'd rather have a manners code: if the next table over can understand you, you're talking too loud.

c