Peter Luger

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Were you cooked evenly?

Luger is still a tipping establishment, right? You probably put a significant ding in his income that hour.   Shrimp cocktail is supposed to be hard and crunchy? [i rarely eat anything with more t

Isn't he saying the potatoes suck and the steak isn't as great as it once was though?

Yep. We haven't been back in awhile, but I hear (I play tennis with a retired long time waiter and a current waiter there) that they're doing better business than ever, what with the gentrification of W'burg and surrounding areas & the increased tourism in Bklyn. The current waiter told me yesterday that the "hamburger for lunch" trend (the cult that had claimed it to be the best burger and the thing to do) has now been supplanted by a booming "steaks at lunch" business.

The one time I went, the steak was alright, but certainly not worth the schlep out to Williamsburg. But fundamentally, it's more about biology than the skill of the restaurant. Nature is capable of producing only so much prime beef, and there's more demand for it than ever.

I doubt that the Toronto restaurants have somehow identified a better source that Luger is innocent of; or that they know how to broil it better than Luger does. But with demand being what it is, the odds of finding the best steak at Luger are a lot lower than they used to be. Meantime, the prices keep going up, and Luger still won't take your credit card.

I've been part of a number of blind tastings where cumbrae' steaks have trounced usda prime. I don't think the generic force fed usda prime from Peter Luger is as good as what creekstone produces.

Also, the aging process itself isn't necessarily handled the best by Luger (though it's obviously handled quite well), even when the raw material is excellent.

Even for USDA Prime beef, the odds of getting the best product at Luger are a lot less than they used to be. I would be surprised if the aging process is the reason for it.

Whether USDA Prime is even the best anymore is a whole other question: most of what are considered the better NYC steakhouses continue to serve it. I have never been a fan of the Creekstone product, though that may be a matter of what one is accustomed to.

I'm one of those who really likes Luger's, even given the limited menu choices, the atmosphere, the credit card limitations and the trouble getting in. However, we haven't gone much in several years now and the reason is simple... it's much easier to get a very nice steak in many places these days & Luger just doesn't stand so far above the fray that I need to deal with it to get my steak fix.

The one time I went, the steak was alright, but certainly not worth the schlep out to Williamsburg. But fundamentally, it's more about biology than the skill of the restaurant. Nature is capable of producing only so much prime beef, and there's more demand for it than ever.

I doubt that the Toronto restaurants have somehow identified a better source that Luger is innocent of; or that they know how to broil it better than Luger does. But with demand being what it is, the odds of finding the best steak at Luger are a lot lower than they used to be. Meantime, the prices keep going up, and Luger still won't take your credit card.

How much have prices gone up? Isn't the steak for two around $100 vs maybe $60 in 1998 and $75 in 2005? That's nowhere near as much as price hikes in your typical successful nyc restaurant over the same period, and not anywhere near porterhouse prices at places that were good over the past decade (of course this being nyc who knows where the current good places are)

No idea. But I can find a handful of better steaks in Toronto, so i think it's fair to assume there exists better in nyc. Still a very fun place and a good steak.

It's interesting but other places that served steaks that were easily better (Craft, Ssam Bar, Minetta, etc.) tend to come and go*, even at prices that are generally 50%+ higher than Luger and a total check that's higher by much more, but Luger remains its old random self, more or less.

* in terms of steak greatness, I mean, not that they've gone anywhere.

eta: I guess the question is whether you can get something better with the same constraints (huge volume, relatively low prices) and everything that's derived from them (4 week aging, limited and variable availability of product, cooking method, etc.)

It's interesting but other places that served steaks that were easily better (Craft, Ssam Bar, Minetta, etc.) tend to come and go*, even at prices that are generally 50%+ higher than Luger and a total check that's higher by much more, but Luger remains its old random self, more or less.

* in terms of steak greatness, I mean, not that they've gone anywhere.

This is an interesting point. On any given day, there could be two dozen places in NYC with steaks better than Luger's average, but predicting where those steaks will be is a crapshoot.