Peter Luger

Do you know what happened? Did the farm close down, or just stop making the steaks generally available?

Sammy's is buying them all. :D

I doubt it, but in all seriousness, Luger used to purchase only strip loins, to which it added rib steaks a few years ago. That still leaves a lot of cow that has to go somewhere.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Were you cooked evenly?

Luger is still a tipping establishment, right? You probably put a significant ding in his income that hour.   Shrimp cocktail is supposed to be hard and crunchy? [i rarely eat anything with more t

Isn't he saying the potatoes suck and the steak isn't as great as it once was though?

(not that the very aged stuff from "niman ranch" or the very aged Wagyu from various sources are half bad)

I acknowledge that I'm biting my nose to spite my face, but I find all that "Wagyu" in New York kind of offensive on principle.

And since those places aren't steakhouses (not even Minetta, Frank Bruni), they don't rely on maintaining the standard of the steak to fill tables.

Well, amazingly enough it's only Luger's, Bern's, and a handful of other steakhouses that rely on that. Most "steakhouses" across the country are serving USDA choice, wet aged, and charging Luger prices. They seem to rely on bro appeal and not any standard.

Sure, but I mean Craft could not have a steak on the menu at all.

• 3 years later...

This week has been a week of beef and debauchery.. As I sit here eating carrots sticks, i have no regrets.

We walked in around 3 pm on a Saturday.. It was the three of us, 3 year old and two able willing adults.. We ordered a jumbo shrimp cocktail (6pcs) a wedge salad and the bacon cheeseburger.. Our waiter, sniffed at us, "the three of you are only going to get a burger". So ashamed, I almost added on a steak.. But, fortunately i stuck to my guns and we only had some salad, some bacon and a shrimp leftover.

take it or leave it: When I have shrimp cocktail, i am rather obsessive about a few aspects.. They were not as hard and crunchy as I like and the broth they were boiled in didn't really add to it. Cocktail sauce needed more horseradish in my opinion..

We ordered it to pad the bill and I didn't want steak..

42497163020_39807cf256_z.jpg

Keep the wedge: I know it's tomato season everyday at Luger's but, it's tomato season everywhere else too

30437891468_47cffaa7b5_z.jpg

Beautiful burger.. It's a star. It needs nothing, no mustard, no ketchup, maybe some salt but, it needs nothing.. The interesting thing is the bun. It would not be enjoyable on it's own.. It's almost like a day old perhaps but, the amount this sucker bleeds, the juice that runneth over, it needs that hard bun.. If it were a potato roll or "puke" a brioche, it would be a wet soggy mess...

Anyway, dry aged, beef, beautiful.. Bravo... Miss A and I literally split a glass of for the last 4 bites, (as we are not savages and do not cut the burger (she finally let me win one))

43398765425_777c52f903_z.jpg

We walked in around 3 pm on a Saturday.. It was the three of us, 3 year old and two able willing adults.. We ordered a jumbo shrimp cocktail (6pcs) a wedge salad and the bacon cheeseburger.. Our waiter, sniffed at us, "the three of you are only going to get a burger". So ashamed, I almost added on a steak.. But, fortunately i stuck to my guns and we only had some salad, some bacon and a shrimp leftover.

Luger is still a tipping establishment, right? You probably put a significant ding in his income that hour. :D

Shrimp cocktail is supposed to be hard and crunchy? [i rarely eat anything with more than four limbs other than lobster, langoustine, etc. Not that I eat those often...]

I never understood how some restaurants manage to keep serving inappropriate buns for their burgers. It should be empirically obvious when a bun cannot stand up to the juicyness of its patty.

• Like 1

Luger is still a tipping establishment, right? You probably put a significant ding in his income that hour. :D

Shrimp cocktail is supposed to be hard and crunchy? [i rarely eat anything with more than four limbs other than lobster, langoustine, etc. Not that I eat those often...]

I never understood how some restaurants manage to keep serving inappropriate buns for their burgers. It should be empirically obvious when a bun cannot stand up to the juicyness of its patty.

I tipped the bartender 20, the maitre d 20 bucks and gave the waiter 35 percent tip.. I said that to Alicia as we had a bottle of wine..The steak we ordered would have been another 50 bucks which, would have put his tip at another 10 so, I added the 10 towards his tip.. Add that to the fact that over 60 percent of the room were foreign Tourists where tipping is not a thing, he was happy..

• 3 weeks later...

what can I say, i love this place.. I love most old places and this is no exception. after having our daughters 18th birthday party, we have an in!   I feel like an official Brooklyn Resident now, I can walk in and get a table with no reservation... 

We have been popping in for burgers lately.. there is no need to eat steak elsewhere. but, i will 

42928953100_1ce160d892_z.jpg

this is the rare.. thankfully the plate is screaming hot but, i think I like medium rare better.. My wife, she likes the rare. 

44689529862_68b8cda2ab_z.jpg

• 1 year later...

A takedown reminiscent of the Fieri fiasco...

Peter Luger Used to Sizzle. Now It Sputters.

Was the Caesar salad always so drippy, the croutons always straight out of a bag, the grated cheese always so white and rubbery? I know there was a time the German fried potatoes were brown and crunchy, because I eagerly ate them each time I went. Now they are mushy, dingy, gray and sometimes cold. I look forward to them the way I look forward to finding a new, irregularly shaped mole.

I hate those moles!

You get the burger, you get the steak, you get the creamed spinach and potatoes. This isn’t rocket science. One of my favorite rooms in New York and I’m greeted well every time.