g.johnson

Eleven Madison Park

I wouldn't go so far as to say it sucks, but I have to agree that the food really isn't *** level.

1. I've never heard anyone complain that the food never changes when it's great. When it's not so great then it can all change and yet remain uninteresting.

I can't think of any NYC restaurant that I'd care to keep re-visiting if the menu never changed. EMP now seems to be designed to cater to people who'll only go once. It's not because they run out screaming that they've been served terrible food, but because most of them are non-residents or "once in a lifetime" diners who want to scratch another S. Pellegrino restaurant off of their bucket list.

2. I've never heard of a three star restaurant in the past couple of decades that doesn't feature seasonal changes to its menu. I'm guessing EMP does too, but they just don't matter because of (1) and (3).

I have never heard of it either, but since they adopted the new format, every description I read is practically the same, with perhaps very limited changes, e.g., duck or beef, neither of which is a seasonal substitution. They probably swap out some of the amuses.

3. My detailed and fair assessment remains that it sucks.

Why Michelin continues to give EMP three stars is anyone's guess, but if they're going to kill Daniel off this year (of course they will) then they can't afford to demote EMP as well.

I have no opinion on the current menu format, which I haven't had, but I believe you don't think that any of the current NYC three-stars deserve that rating, right?

My menu in November had 3 root vegetable courses. I would hope that is not the case right now.

I haven't been to Masa or BF, but I'd put EMP below the rest. Even below Daniel, mainly because the cost of entry is so much more expensive.

Before it went private, EMP was better than you guys are saying. Now, I have no idea: I don't want to go there, either.

Before it went private, EMP was better than you guys are saying. Now, I have no idea: I don't want to go there, either.

I agree. I have been to EMP at least once every year that Humm has been there (although I haven't been in 2013), and his first three years there remain my favorite three years of eating at EMP.

I don't think anybody here was saying much of anything bad about Humm's EMP under DM. Looks like most of us just haven't been since the change in ownership, though.

I agree. I have been to EMP at least once every year that Humm has been there (although I haven't been in 2013), and his first three years there remain my favorite three years of eating at EMP.

he got there in '06 right?