g.johnson

Eleven Madison Park

Before it went private, EMP was better than you guys are saying. Now, I have no idea: I don't want to go there, either.

I agree. I have been to EMP at least once every year that Humm has been there (although I haven't been in 2013), and his first three years there remain my favorite three years of eating at EMP.

he got there in '06 right?

If so, then I am mistaken. My first visit was in March of 2007. And, in many ways, it remains my favorite.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it sucks, but I have to agree that the food really isn't *** level.

Sucks=not bad.

It's hasn't fallen to "disgusting."

Before it went private, EMP was better than you guys are saying. Now, I have no idea: I don't want to go there, either.

I agree. I have been to EMP at least once every year that Humm has been there (although I haven't been in 2013), and his first three years there remain my favorite three years of eating at EMP.

he got there in '06 right?

If so, then I am mistaken. My first visit was in March of 2007. And, in many ways, it remains my favorite.

check out the first post in this thread

"we went because they've got this new chef - Daniel Humm" - its actually an interesting look at history if you read the early pages (which jibes with your view) -cautious optimism as humm builds, then lots of accolades as the site loves it, then the mockery surrounding the grid menu, then the mockery surrouding the Pellegrino floor show and tourist restaurantification.

Also interesting - mossad members aside very hard to find a negative review of the food, but the number of actual meals eaten there just collapses at some point as it devolves into what one person called "corny"

Yeah, looks like I last went in 2008 with a bunch of people from Mouthfuls and we were very happy with it.

I wanted to go during the grid phase, but didn't get around to it; the current version really doesn't appeal.

ETA: It's probably a subject for its own thread--if it's important at all--but you can track many restaurants where there's obsessive interest over several months, or even a year or more, then everyone just seems to stop going (Bouley, Craft, Hearth; I guess more recently Ssam Bar). Does this track a decline in the restaurants or just a legitimate drift of attention?

But that was well before the press dinners at walalala masawalala phase.

Also interesting - mossad members aside very hard to find a negative review of the food, but the number of actual meals eaten there just collapses at some point as it devolves into what one person called "corny"

Amazingly enough, blog posts from this month feature exactly the same dishes we had there... I'm guessing 18 months ago because I'm too lazy to check, except it's now less food for more money.

ETA: It's probably a subject for its own thread--if it's important at all--but you can track many restaurants where there's obsessive interest over several months, or even a year or more, then everyone just seems to stop going (Bouley, Craft, Hearth; I guess more recently Ssam Bar). Does this track a decline in the restaurants or just a legitimate drift of attention?

Bouley, Craft, and Ssam are def food issues.

Hearth was one of those "MFF in love" places although it was and is legit good for what it wants to be. The MFF cohort just overhyped what it wanted to be.

I'm not convinced Ssam was a food issue. I've eaten there every year from 2007-2011 (not last year or this year) and can't say that there was some precipitous decline in what they were putting out. The food in 2011 was in the same ballpark as in 2007 but no longer felt as fresh or new or different. This makes the service and noise issues stand out a lot more.

Bouley, Craft, and Ssam are def food issues.

Hearth was one of those "MFF in love" places although it was and is legit good for what it wants to be. The MFF cohort just overhyped what it wanted to be.

We went there with omnivorette who was largely behind that love affair. I was frankly amazed at the lack of special treatment she got given her relationship with the place, but also with the inability of Hearth to offer anything exceeding their normal menu. It was as if the chef was afraid to ask his staff to do anything that would cause them to sweat... like a one star version of Saison.

I'm not convinced Ssam was a food issue. I've eaten there every year from 2007-2011 (not last year or this year) and can't say that there was some precipitous decline in what they were putting out. The food in 2011 was in the same ballpark as in 2007 but no longer felt as fresh or new or different. This makes the service and noise issues stand out a lot more.

you are wrong and you should feel bad about being wrong. back to your bidet.

The real problem is that the old non-seasonal chestnuts are still good, but the newer items in the rotation just didn't compare to the golden era stuff.

Didn't Ssam Bar cut back the menu for late night dining? I tended to use it when on my way home after a performance or something, and I have the vague recollection that was a problem for me. But maybe misremembering.

YES. I remember being so pissed when that happened.

God that original roll out was inadvertent genius. "Its a crappy wrap shop by day, but at 11(?) it becomes this amazing sui generis restaurant."

you are wrong and you should feel bad about being wrong. back to your bidet.

The real problem is that the old non-seasonal chestnuts are still good, but the newer items in the rotation just didn't compare to the golden era stuff.

I don't live in French Canada or have a time machine to go back to 2001 NYC, so sorry.

I'll grant you that it's not as good (circa 2011, so if it sucks today, then it sucks today) but I can't say that it's not in the same ballpark (no, the greatest "new" hits are not as good as the greatest "old" hits). The disappearance from the radar has more to do with staleness than absolute quality, even if there's been a quality decline.

Yeah, I think people have new places to go to, whether the quality has declined or not. I think that's natural.