Eleven Madison Park

I think Sneak's concerns are becoming increasingly remote.

They just want to know if you're a frequent diner, in the business, or whatever. Inside leg measurement truly not germane.

My point isn't what they care about. It's what they're going to find if they bother to look. They may not care about all that stuff -- but it's what they're going to find. And once they see it, they can't un-see it.

(I do have to repeat, however, that nothing in that write-up made me think they limit the information they search to the extent Wilfrid assumes.)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

Removed.

Posted Images

Lets get back to specifics. This is from the article describing EMP's Googling.

(Or, if it seems to Roller that a guest prefers to keep a low profile, "I'll let them introduce themselves to me," he says.)

This is the creepiest. They do internet research to see if I'm the kind of person who cares about maintaining my privacy, so they can then know to pretend they didn't research me.

Read this again:

Lets get back to specifics. This is from the article describing EMP's Googling.

This is just the beginning. If, for example, Roller discovers it's a couple's anniversary, he'll then try to figure out which anniversary. If it's a birthday, he'll welcome a guest, as they walk in the door, with a "Happy Birthday." (Or, if it seems to Roller that a guest prefers to keep a low profile, "I'll let them introduce themselves to me," he says.) Even small details are useful: "If I find out a guest is from Montana, and I know we have a server from there, we'll put them together." Same goes for guests who own jazz clubs, who can be paired with a sommelier that happens to be into jazz. In other words, before customers even step through the door, the restaurant's staff has a pretty good idea of the things it can do to specifically blow their minds.

This is CREEPY.

(I do have to repeat, however, that nothing in that write-up made me think they limit the information they search to the extent Wilfrid assumes.)

All I'm assuming is that this is being done in the course of business, and not by someone who wants to personally stalk you. It's common practice for businesses to use social media, among other tools, to evaluate clients' expectations and needs. If restaurants have just started doing it, they're late to the game.

I haven't seen anyone say they're creeped out by status-based airline or hotel upgrades yet. Any takers?

This is not what they're doing.

EMP is doing research on SPECIFIC individuals (not constituencies or cohorts) to find out personal information about those SPECIFIC individuals in order to personalize their service for those SPECIFIC individuals. And allthough finding out visiting chefs is part of it, this is not mainly about status upgrades based on consumption patterns.

That's exactly what businesses are spending a lot of money trying to do.

A premium hotel would love to be able to set the music playing in your room when you arrive according to your social media preferences.

This is not what they're doing.

EMP is doing research on SPECIFIC individuals (not constituencies or cohorts) to find out personal information about those SPECIFIC individuals in order to personalize their service for those SPECIFIC individuals. And allthough finding out visiting chefs is part of it, this is not mainly about status upgrades based on consumption patterns.

Social media analytics is about targeting individuals, not cohorts (yes, it does that as well).

But what if I didn't set any social media preferences because I don't participate in social media? EMP is going the extra step of looking at everything that's reported about me to see what they can learn.

EMP is in no way limiting their research to information the subject him- or herself has published. There is not a whiff of a hint that they are.

All I'm assuming is that this is being done in the course of business, and not by someone who wants to personally stalk you. It's common practice for businesses to use social media, among other tools, to evaluate clients' expectations and needs. If restaurants have just started doing it, they're late to the game.

I haven't seen anyone say they're creeped out by status-based airline or hotel upgrades yet. Any takers?

because those upgrades are based on business that I or my employer does with the airline or the hotel chain.