Eleven Madison Park

It's worth noting that what was recently publicized, they have clearly been doing for quite a while. If customers were getting offended, I don't think they'd be bragging about it.

Right. This crowd is not typical. A lot of people get a kick out of personalized treatment, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. (And why this isn't a business transaction--as well as other things--I have no idea.)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

Removed.

Posted Images

also the same action can be legal, predictable, creepy and inappropriate.

Key point.

But not in dispute.

I am not saying it's creepy but legal. I'm saying it's not creepy (within the parameters I've described).

The same action can be not creepy and thought by some people on Mouthfuls to be creepy.

I think many people would think it was great if a restaurant surprised them with a happy birthday or happy anniversary.

I also suspect that most of the implementation of the skullduggery is too subtle to notice. How many people would jump from "my waiter is also from Montana and loves electronic dance music" to "the restaurant must have checked my Facebook page."

Sure.

And conversely, there was nothing to stop an idiot maitre d' in 1999 reading a Sneakeater career lowlight in a newspaper report and blurting something inappropriate at him over menus. The Internet makes it easier to read what other people are saying about you, but the situation doesn't seem to me to be morally distinct.

It's worth noting that what was recently publicized, they have clearly been doing for quite a while. If customers were getting offended, I don't think they'd be bragging about it.

Remember - these are the same customers who love the Taste of New York theme dinners.

I heard they're adding a new New York-themed magic trick where one waiter distracts you by offering to sell you cocaine while another waiter steals your wallet.

:lol:

That's from the special "NYC in the Early 1980s" dinner.

"Wilfrid, you may be flying in the back of the plane, but we didn't think you should have a plastic glass with your champagne."

How creepy. Take your flute and get out of my life.

"Wilfrid, we're afraid we have to bump you from this flight."

"But I have tickets."

"Well, you've been selected to be kicked off."

"At random?"

"No, you see, Ulterior Epicure is flying to take photos of EMP and he's our most valuable client, and theirs."

"Oh, good."

It is strange that they are admitting to it. Take for example assigning a waiter who comes from the same area as the diner. If it comes up organically, the diner can feel that it's a neat coincidence, and might enjoy their experience more, if they are provincial enough to enjoy that sort of thing. But if they know the restaurant does such a thing, then situation is both awkward and creepy.

"Wilfrid, you may be flying in the back of the plane, but we didn't think you should have a plastic glass with your champagne."

How creepy. Take your flute and get out of my life.

Or how about they just serve it to you in a glass. Isn't a large part of great service anticipating the needs and likes of a client? Calling attention to it is inelegant, and makes you wonder how they know. That is when the creep factor comes in.