Eleven Madison Park

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

Then Goldilocks cried out, "Someone's been playing with my FOOD!"

Posted Images

I was in Degustation when it was still fairly new, and a professional photographer came in and started taking photos--clearly with the restaurant's approval. Maybe for the Times? Not sure now.

Anyway, a guy who had been dining with a young lady went apeshit with the manager about being photographed without permission. Made me wonder...

I don't see the issue here in the slightest. This is already standard SoP across the business world. And what EMP is described as doing is the type of thing that takes ten seconds to do (though more technologically literate people lock down their Facebook pages these days...but you don't do that with your LinkedIn for obvious reasons). Everyone googles everyone else before business meetings. If you're meeting with a new client they google you and you google them. Maybe there's a little bit of a generational gap but really not much. This is all so very standard. Of course people are going to leverage the internet since it's available. I'm reticent to give my surname to a new romantic partner early on because I know she's going to look me up (obviously I do the same thing). (of course if you know what you're doing the phone number is often all you need.) heck, companies google potential employees before they come in for an interview (why the heck would you rely upon the resume)? it's a brave new world. we just live in it.

To take an example, 'cyberstalking' someone through Google in advance of a date used to be considered a bit impolite or obsessive, but I increasingly find that Millennials now take it for granted. Refraining from Googling a potential date is now probably somewhat quixotic.

A date could lead to a long term relationship. A restaurant meal could lead to another restaurant meal at the same place. I don't see any equivalence. There's no good reason for a restaurant to ferret out personal details of their customers.

If I was at a place and a server of FOH person that I'd never met before started blabbing about personal details of my life I'd find it extremely creepy.

something like that happened to me at union pacific, except it was rocco blabbing about stuff noone expected he'd know. we started to suspect someone was listening tot he conversation. i always meant to ask steve scher what the deal was with that, but i never got around to it

I don't see the issue here in the slightest. This is already standard SoP across the business world. And what EMP is described as doing is the type of thing that takes ten seconds to do (though more technologically literate people lock down their Facebook pages these days...but you don't do that with your LinkedIn for obvious reasons). Everyone googles everyone else before business meetings. If you're meeting with a new client they google you and you google them. Maybe there's a little bit of a generational gap but really not much. This is all so very standard. Of course people are going to leverage the internet since it's available. I'm reticent to give my surname to a new romantic partner early on because I know she's going to look me up (obviously I do the same thing). (of course if you know what you're doing the phone number is often all you need.) heck, companies google potential employees before they come in for an interview (why the heck would you rely upon the resume)? it's a brave new world. we just live in it.

They won't listen to me, Nathan, perhaps they'll listen to you. "So very standard."

The difference is:

A business meeting -- presumably leading up to doing business as equals.

Going to eat in a restaurant -- where they're going to serve me.

I should be Googling THEM (the restaurant). THEY shouldn't be Googling ME.

I think the subtle difference here is that what the restaurant is doing involves a restaurant staff person so it is considered creepy. Amazon, Google and Apple know more about you than your own parents but no one seems to mind because they use technology instead of a restaurant manager physically looking people up. We regularly provide information to airlines and hotels about what we like and what we don't like so they can provide better service (some do this better than others) in the future.

I agree with Wilf and Nathan, I don't see what the big deal is unless you are married and going out on a date with someone you aren't supposed to be with....

I could understand fine dining places like EMP wanting to identify chefs or food industry people (including high visibility bloggers.) That's legitimate. Anything else is overreach and intrusive. I don't care if there's a certain type of customer who wants the servers and kitchen staff to gather round their table and sing Happy Birthday to them.

I could understand fine dining places like EMP wanting to identify chefs or food industry people (including high visibility bloggers.) That's legitimate. Anything else is overreach and intrusive. I don't care if there's a certain type of customer who wants the servers and kitchen staff to gather round their table and sing Happy Birthday to them.

the happy birthday thing can be a bit of overstepping, it can create real unhappiness. some folks don't celebrate birthdays or a birthday may also fall on the anniversary of something tragic. perhaps a diner's companions were unaware that it was a birthday or a spouse had forgotten an anniversary and dinner out was just a coincidence.

my birthday falls on the same date as my paternal grandmother's death, which was a traumatic event for her kids. they all knew my birthday but it made it hard to have a festive family birthday party on the day, what with folks mourning and planning drives out to a cemetery. my dad would have totally freaked out if at a fancy dinner in her memory, restaurant staff would have surrounded our table and started singing happy birthday

my birthday falls on the same date as my paternal grandmother's death, which was a traumatic event for her kids. they all knew my birthday but it made it hard to have a festive family birthday party on the day, what with folks mourning and planning drives out to a cemetery. my dad would have totally freaked out if at a fancy dinner in her memory, restaurant staff would have surrounded our table and started singing happy birthday

That's a good example. Something similar happened to my mom. Her father died on her birthday.

To be sure, those are extreme examples. What if they Googled Facebook and they found out that I was a big fly fisherman? Then when I show up at the restaurant with my wife they trot out some server who also likes to flyfish and he proceeds to wax rhapsodic about his favorite streams. Will this make me happy? It might make some people happy. In my case I'd tell him that I'd really like to devote the meal to conversing with my wife and enjoying the food rather than chatting about my hobbies.

Once a restaurant goes beyond a legitimate business use of Google (i.e. identifying industry people) to scavenging personal details that they can use to kiss up to customers they run the risk of pissing people off.