Eleven Madison Park

Do we know that anything like that has ever happened at EMP? We seem to be inventing disasters that haven't ever occurred (or at least, are not known to have occurred).

Re-read that thing Lex posted. They do this so they'll be able to "blow" their guests' "minds".

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

Removed.

Posted Images

Do we know that anything like that has ever happened at EMP? We seem to be inventing disasters that haven't ever occurred (or at least, are not known to have occurred).

Agreed. Additionally, every new thing gets taken to excess for awhile, while limits are tested and its interesting to see where the new great thing can take you. It'll settle down as places weigh cost/benefit ratios to the amount of time they're taking just for small (if any) gain.

Do you really think 100% percent of their customers like being stroked like this? Maybe at Mars 2112.

my birthday falls on the same date as my paternal grandmother's death, which was a traumatic event for her kids. they all knew my birthday but it made it hard to have a festive family birthday party on the day, what with folks mourning and planning drives out to a cemetery. my dad would have totally freaked out if at a fancy dinner in her memory, restaurant staff would have surrounded our table and started singing happy birthday

That's a good example. Something similar happened to my mom. Her father died on her birthday.

To be sure, those are extreme examples. What if they Googled Facebook and they found out that I was a big fly fisherman? Then when I show up at the restaurant with my wife they trot out some server who also likes to flyfish and he proceeds to wax rhapsodic about his favorite streams. Will this make me happy? It might make some people happy. In my case I'd tell him that I'd really like to devote the meal to conversing with my wife and enjoying the food rather than chatting about my hobbies.

Once a restaurant goes beyond a legitimate business use of Google (i.e. identifying industry people) to scavenging personal details that they can use to kiss up to customers they run the risk of pissing people off.

say they dig up a wedding anniversary date but miss digging up the death notice for the spouse. could be awkward for someone and their date

Exactly.

A smart maitre d', armed with information about a birthday or anniversary, will discreetly check with the host whether it is being celebrated. The object of the exercise is not to distress people.

Do you really think 100% percent of their customers like being stroked like this? Maybe at Mars 2112.

Get in a time machine and go back and complain to Henri Soule about his in-depth of knowledge of customers likes and dislikes, birthdays, anniversaries, and career changes.

This is silly.

That would be even worse. Then I'd have all of C. Everett Periwinkle's personal shit dumped on me during dinner.

reserve under jeffrey dahmer and watch them scramble to come up with a legal entree to serve you. cannibals can be so fussy

I'm in sneak's camp here, but I totally get why some people don't think its weird. I don't know there is just something hollow about learning something about me on google and then using that to improve my experience.

Let me ask you guys this. You have a business lead. You google said lead. You find a google image of him bonefishing. You too like to fly fish. Would you ever bring that up? Now if the guy started talking about his trip to the bahamas you might say "Oh love the Bahamas, you fish at all?" - but that's different then over your first lunch saying "oh by chance do you like to fly fish"

The problem is not the knowledge but how knowledge is acquired. The old way involved forming a relationship with the people at the restaurant who then remembered things about you because it was their job and because you told them and maybe because you liked each other. A great restaurant is almost like a friend. It's a place that remembers your patronage, you honestly like and honestly likes you. It's not an airplane or a website where you order books, it's a place that you can develop a real relationship with. If you want to be able to develop a real relationship with a place, it's understandable how knowledge acquired not through interaction but through internet research seems both kind of creepy and kind of cheapens the whole experience.

Of course, if you want to be able to accurately identify whales, bloggers and chefs - and most of your clients won't return frequently to your 80 course never changing SP topping restaurant- it's not a bad way to go about things. And if you're a whale, blogger or chef, you're bound to benefit from a triage program based not on your relationship but entirely on your identity (especially bloggers who wouldn't have had access to this kind of triage before). I get it, but if kind of takes a bit of the romance out of it.

This being the Internet, if they've ever done it to the extent that they were actively pissing off customers, you'd think said customers (or a subset of them) would have spoken up, and we'd hear about it.