Eleven Madison Park

Let me ask you guys this. You have a business lead. You google said lead. You find a google image of him bonefishing. You too like to fly fish. Would you ever bring that up? Now if the guy started talking about his trip to the bahamas you might say "Oh love the Bahamas, you fish at all?" - but that's different then over your first lunch saying "oh by chance do you like to fly fish"

Exactly. That's the difference.

Wilf, I'm sure there's stuff out there in the public domain, things that you've posted about, that you wouldn't like a restaurant to parrot back to you. I've got stuff like that too. PM me if want to get specific.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

Then Goldilocks cried out, "Someone's been playing with my FOOD!"

Posted Images

The problem is not the knowledge but how knowledge is acquired. The old way involved forming a relationship with the people at the restaurant who then remembered things about you because it was their job and because you told them and maybe because you liked each other. A great restaurant is almost like a friend. It's a place that remembers your patronage, you honestly like and honestly likes you. It's not an airplane or a website where you order books, it's a place that you can develop a real relationship with. If you want to be able to develop a real relationship with a place, it's understandable how knowledge acquired not through interaction but through internet research seems both kind of creepy and kind of cheapens the whole experience.

Of course, if you want to be able to accurately identify whales, bloggers and chefs - and most of your clients won't return frequently to your 80 course never changing SP topping restaurant- it's not a bad way to go about things. And if you're a whale, blogger or chef, you're bound to benefit from a triage program based not on your relationship but entirely on your identity (especially bloggers who wouldn't have had access to this kind of triage before). I get it, but if kind of takes a bit of the romance out of it.

Exactly.

Oh, c'mon…. do you all really think that I haven't googled each of you, looked on your f'book page & read all your posts on those knitting sites so that I was better prepared to deal with you?

(bonner: really…. butterfly collecting? granted, it was after the electroshock treatments, but still)

:D

Oh, c'mon…. do you all really think that I haven't googled each of you, looked on your f'book page & read all your posts on those knitting sites so that I was better prepared to deal with you?

(bonner: really…. butterfly collecting? granted, it was after the electroshock treatments, but still)

:D

I'm glad our cross dressing experiments are in the past. Oh, the fun we used to have.

some-like-it-hot-6.gif

Wilf and Lex go to lunch at EMP and get their beers served in a bottle.

Better yet, during our last visit they served us a series of special dive bar themed courses that they developed especially for us.

Let me ask you guys this. You have a business lead. You google said lead. You find a google image of him bonefishing. You too like to fly fish. Would you ever bring that up? Now if the guy started talking about his trip to the bahamas you might say "Oh love the Bahamas, you fish at all?" - but that's different then over your first lunch saying "oh by chance do you like to fly fish"

This really is right. And the reason you wouldn't do it is because you know it would seem creepy.

No, they're talking about doing things like matching up diners with waiters who come from the same state as they do, or who share personal interests with them. This is not silly. They're doing much more than you say they are.

How much time do you think they spend investigating each reservation?

Exactly. That's the difference.

Wilf, I'm sure there's stuff out there in the public domain, things that you've posted about, that you wouldn't like a restaurant to parrot back to you. I've got stuff like that too. PM me if want to get specific.

I don't want them to spit in my soup either.

I'm in sneak's camp here, but I totally get why some people don't think its weird. I don't know there is just something hollow about learning something about me on google and then using that to improve my experience.

Yes, you do it right.

No, they're talking about doing things like matching up diners with waiters who come from the same state as they do, or who share personal interests with them. This is not silly. They're doing much more than you say they are.

How much time do you think they spend investigating each reservation?

Wilfrid, I am only commenting on what they say they do. If you want to speculate that what they really do is something different from what they say, go ahead. But to be clear, I'm not talking about your speculation as to their real practice, but rather about what they claim for themselves.

I highly doubt that they spend more than 30 seconds per person (unless it's a VIP or a whale). If they get creepy...it'll backfire (and I'm sure some restaurant will take it too far). but how exactly does a fine dining place (today) differentiate themselves from the big box places (which definitely don't have the time to do this). This is how.

now as face recognition gets better....(I'd dearly love to know the identities of every person at the poker table when I sit down.....)