Eleven Madison Park

Maybe you could start using P Tracker and somehow give them access to it.

if they are any good at gathering social intelligence they should be able to chart it according to the tone and frequency of my posts. i had a work husband once who could tell by my emails

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

Removed.

Posted Images

Was rather surprised to see Eleven Madison Park mentioned on my favourite geek/technology site: of course they were concerned with the Google angle and not the cuisine.

I thought this made sense: 'most people aren't too hesitant to give up their personal information, but when it's used for stuff they aren't expecting, it feels like a violation'.

Thinking of best-case scenarios: if I blogged regularly about wine, it could significantly improve the efficiency of the dialogue between myself and the sommelier. This might also prove the case if the sommelier were aware of my bank balances.

You see, I get from the paragraph in question that Roller was asked for a few examples about what they do, and he happened to say something like, "Oh there was this guy once who is all over the Internet as a jazz buff, and Pedro the busboy likes jazz..."

And you're hearing, "We systematically search for each guests' music preferences as expressed over social media platforms, and using an Excel spreadsheet get the closest matches we can with staff music preferences."

You can't tell from those 200 words which happened, but I know which I believe (and which I think is saner).

Well, there's a startup right there - an Opentable plugin that dispatches to a third party, which using automated tools and mechanical turk type peeps will automatically insert songs into the restaurant's playlist that the diner finds "uplifting" just before delivering the check.

I think that's a very intelligent analysis of this -- again, based on what they say, which may be different from what they do.

I think Casey did a good job getting a blog out of a paragraph from Grub Street. :D

You see, I get from the paragraph in question that Roller was asked for a few examples about what they do, and he happened to say something like, "Oh there was this guy once who is all over the Internet as a jazz buff, and Pedro the busboy likes jazz..."

And you're hearing, "We systematically search for each guests' music preferences as expressed over social media platforms, and using an Excel spreadsheet get the closest matches we can with staff music preferences."

You can't tell from those 200 words which happened, but I know which I believe (and which I think is saner).

Well, there's a startup right there - an Opentable plugin that dispatches to a third party, which using automated tools and mechanical turk type peeps will automatically insert songs into the restaurant's playlist that the diner finds "uplifting" just before delivering the check.

Surprised EMP isn't using mechanical turks for its investigative probes. Save the maitre d' for fussing with the flowers.

• 2 weeks later...

EMP moves upto #24 (from #50) in the top 50 restaurants of the world list.

And now they are #10.

Had a lovely lunch here last Friday BTW. They are really pressing on with the NY theme, black and white cookies to start and different ones to finish, a comped course of smoked (as in, under a dome with smoke when served) sturgeon, rye toast and caviar with all local plateware which Chef Kent told us was a nod to NY's history of Appetizing, and of course the usual Egg Cream at the end too. Lovely afternoon.

One nice thing that I noticed was them carrying around a massive sub-primal of dry aged Rib Eye for show. Reminded me of the tour that the entrees make during lunch service at L'Arpege. It's always killed me that the beef option here has always been tenderloin, I take this as another sign of them figuring out what the locals eat and don't eat.

And now they are #5, and First in the US.

Per Se to Second in the US at 11th, followed by Alinea (15th).

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/comida/2013/04/1270490-saiba-quais-sao-os-50-melhores-restaurantes-do-mundo.shtml

They are now the 4th best restaurant in the entire world.

http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners#t1-50

Bernardin to 21, Per Se to 30, Daniel 40, Ssam Bar at 64, Nomad at 68, Ko at 70, Marea at 93, Jean Georges at 98.

How did Japan compare I hear Orik not ask? Narisawa at 14 (just one spot lower than a casual family style Thai place in Bangkok run by an Australian), followed by Ryugin at 33 and Ishikawa at 99.

How did Japan compare I hear Orik not ask? Narisawa at 14 (just one spot lower than a casual family style Thai place in Bangkok run by an Australian), followed by Ryugin at 33 and Ishikawa at 99.

At least Chateaubriand is no longer the best restaurant in Paris.

• Like 1

The S. Pellegrino list is obviously a joke. EMP isn't the fourth best restaurant in New York, let alone the entire world.

I agree with your first sentence, but I think there are very smart and reasonable people who would rate EMP as the city's #1, and most would place it in at least the top four. After all, two unrelated media organizations (the NYT and Michelin) have placed it in the top six, by giving it their highest rating, and it is one of just three restaurants (with Per Se and LeB) that both agree on.

Both the New York Times and Michelin awarded EMP their stars while they were under their old format, and both are notoriously slow to take stars away.

This is absolutely true, that doesn't mean EMP no longer deserves its stars. With some regularity, I continue to see gushing reviews from respected sources. They could be wrong, but I have no reason right now to think so.

So I'm having dinner right now at the chef's counter of this restaurant in Sydney, Australia, called Nomad. I start chatting with one of the cooks and I mention that there's a restaurant in NYC called The NoMad, which has nothing to do with the Nomad in Sydney, but it's run by the chef of the famous restaurant EMP. He said he never heard of EMP, but he asked me if I liked Shake Shack. :D