Eleven Madison Park

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

Removed.

Posted Images

Both the New York Times and Michelin awarded EMP their stars while they were under their old format, and both are notoriously slow to take stars away.

This is absolutely true, that doesn't mean EMP no longer deserves its stars. With some regularity, I continue to see gushing reviews from respected sources. They could be wrong, but I have no reason right now to think so.

1. They are wrong.

2. Even if they're not wrong, I doubt very much they think EMP is one of the world's top 50 restaurant. That's just plain silly.

I dunno. I haven't been to most contenders in a while, but EMP is very solidly in the two star category by current standards.

I'd hate to hear what you think of Del Posto. I take it your last meal at LB didn't grade out well either.

I doubt very much they think EMP is one of the world's top 50 restaurant. That's just plain silly.

I think so too, but I'm not sure any NYC restaurant has a valid claim.

@LiquidNY made a much more challenging assertion, that even within NYC, EMP is not in the top four. Given the current state of play, I'd have trouble naming four that are obviously better. (This is not the same as saying the $225 menu is worth it.)

Incidentally, I'm wondering how many recent visits to EMP @LiquidNY has had, that allow him to say with such certainty that it is terrible.

I visited twice in the current format (once just after they switched but before they'd announced it). I can't imagine who would give it three stars except the person who is tweeting as MichelinGuideNY

I did not say EMP was terrible, I said I didn't think it was in the top four in NYC. Here are four places that are better, in my opinion: Le Bernardin, Jean Georges, Atera, Soto. Other possibilities that a lot of people might choose over EMP would be Masa, Per Se, and Brooklyn Fare.

I hear that lunch at Del Posto is both a terrific deal and sometimes better than dinner.

Source? I hear it's the comps that get you - You don't even have to be a blogger!

#zw

1. They are wrong.

How many of the current NYT 4/Michelin 3 deserve their stars?

It's easier to answer for the Times, because they don't purport to rate restaurants across cities. All they've ever done, is to say, "These are the 5-6 best restaurants in New York City right now." It seems the total is always 5-6 places. The number of candidates is small enough that one critic can visit all of them reasonably often.

The obvious ringer on the NYT list is Sushi Nakazawa. Even Pete Wells's own review didn't read like four stars to me. Some people doubt Del Posto, but Sam Sifton at least made it sound like a four-star restaurant (i.e., if you knew nothing about it except the review, you'd think it belonged).

Whether or not the Michelin 3's would get the same rating if they were in (say) Paris, Michelin and the NYT do agree that EMP, Per Se, JG, and LeB, are in the top grouping within New York. Michelin also gives 3* to BF, Daniel, and Masa. The latter two had 4* with the NYT relatively recently. I thought Sam Sifton's demotion of Masa was relatively unpersuasive, because he didn't really identify any way that the restaurant had gotten worse since Frank Bruni gave it 4*. It was a naked exercise in personal preference.