Eleven Madison Park

1 hour ago, Tubbs said:

I think Humm's relationship to the zeitgeist is perfectly demonstrated by this infamous passage:

The critic’s only note was that the restaurant could use “a bit of Miles Davis,” which resonated deeply.

After researching “the 11 words that were most often used to describe him,” chef Humm and his team made it their mission to make their restaurant reflect those qualities, including: “endless reinvention,” “forward-moving,” and “collaborative.” 

I guess this iteration must be Humm’s version of Miles’ shitty late-80s pop period, then. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

EMP Miami 🤣

Posted Images

The last time I ate at EMP was a verrrry long time ago.  So long ago, in fact, that Greg (co-owner with Rob & Meg at the MF clubhouse) was still working there.  We enjoyed it a lot and would've gone back if the format didn't keep changing.  Maybe, this time, if he serves mock duck?

12 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

We have a young-ish female friend who is a vegan; I mean, like a militant vegan. She wishes she had been born in the 50s so she could've experienced the Beatles as they were happening, along with every other mid-century happening one could imagine. 

Anyway, before a show we traveled to once, we all wanted to grab a bite to eat. She and her vegan friend, Significant Eater and me. I think the show was up at the Capitol in Portchester. Anyway, we found a little place where we all figured they'd be able to find something to eat; SE and I found some fairly benign things on the menu for us. After debating between themselves for a good 15 minutes (thank god my edible had started to kick in), they decided: they would share - a bowl of olives.

And they did.

Except that there would have been no accommodations made for vegans in the 1950s (except for a few stray pockets in NYC, London, etc.) She'd have to do all her cooking at home, and most everyone would have thought she was completely nuts.

11 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

Except that there would have been no accommodations made for vegans in the 1950s (except for a few stray pockets in NYC, London, etc.) She'd have to do all her cooking at home, and most everyone would have thought she was completely nuts.

She could've always made or had one of these, probably at every "Continental" restaurant...

1025996359_RelishPlate2018-10-3008883.thumb.JPG.e04fc1e14ea19ae35fb2674b0f9016e1.JPG

7 hours ago, Orik said:

One pound raw morel is about 6oz cooked, plus the very long time to clean it. One pound raw steak cooked rare is around 13oz.

But more importantly, it's a question of settings - at a place like EMP you would get a smaller than 3oz portion of steak (lame, lame steak) as an entrée so it's more about creating an aggregate where there are sufficiently many expensive and exotic sounding ingredients presented in extremely small quantities than anything else. 

Also, to keep things real - this is the level of luxe we're talking about - really not hard to replicate the food cost:

https://thewizardofroz.wordpress.com/2018/03/27/eleven-madison-parks-winter-2018-menu-wows-us-big-time/

So the morels shrink down, and you serve a 3oz portion, cost around $25 retail. Yes, that comes out a little more expensive than 3oz of high end steak (if you assume the vegetables are high end but the meat is crap, then there's no conversation). But morels are an outlier. Of course this is all about creating a high end dining illusion, and the real costs may lie elsewhere than the ingredients. I am just a customer, and perhaps not unique, who is more likely to pay $335 for sea urchin and aged duck than for rutabaga and beets.

3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

You don't have to go back as far as the '50s. In the early '90s when I spent a lot of time in Nashville for work they would look at me like I had two heads when I asked if they had FISH on the menu and didn't want lardons on my salad.