Eleven Madison Park

What's interesting is that the restaurant's explanation of their reason for dropping the inclusion of service in the (unchanged) dinner price doesn't make any sense.  Because obviously they're lying about the reason (or more politely, don't want to say it out loud).

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

A visitor having business with the lord arrives at a great manor house in Western Europe.  He is greeted by the lady of the house. "And where is your husband?", the visitor asks, after pleasantri

Posted Images

On 1/5/2016 at 3:33 PM, Lex said:

2023 - Daniel Humm and Will Guidara today announced that they plan to re-envision EMP as a "Machine Age" restaurant. Guidara was enthusiastic as he announced "By removing the distraction of a server we feel it will be possible for to diners to experience their food more directly."

23570199363_7b39da7cc7_o.jpg

Humm added "EMP's Art Deco architecture is a particularly good fit for this return to a classic dining style. The only thing between my creations and the customer will be a clear glass door that can unlocked by using one of the $50 tokens that will be available for purchase from our service counter."

Prices will remain the same at the revamped restaurant even though it will now become server free. The cost differential will be absorbed by the increased cost of preparing dishes adapted to the new format.

It seems a good time to revive this great post.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, rozrapp said:

Starting in February, gratuity will no longer be included.  No word yet on whether the meal’s $335 price will remain the same or be reduced.

It’s official. According to Florence Fabricant, the price will remain the same. 

2 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

What's interesting is that the restaurant's explanation of their reason for dropping the inclusion of service in the (unchanged) dinner price doesn't make any sense.  Because obviously they're lying about the reason (or more politely, don't want to say it out loud).

I repeat.

It's brilliant - nobody can complain that they have a pre-existing Tock reservations and prices are being raised without notice as the restaurant can always say tips aren't mandatory.

49 minutes ago, Orik said:

It's brilliant - nobody can complain that they have a pre-existing Tock reservations and prices are being raised without notice as the restaurant can always say tips aren't mandatory.

Reservations for February opened on January 1st. And from what I’ve gathered, they’ve been selling out each month immediately. That means patrons dining in February didn’t know about the change when they booked. Even if tips are not mandatory, I can’t imagine people won’t do so.  Presuming they tip 20%, they will be paying $400 for food + drinks and tax. What I think will be interesting to look for is whether, at this price, bookings will continue to sell out in March and going forward.

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Most people would tip on the drinks too, which makes it a very expensive proposition, even if they were going to serve you meat.

I should have mentioned that about drinks and tipping. We always did. However, it was a bit less costly for us than for couples who both drink cocktails and/or wine because I never did the wine pairings Michael did, just a glass or two of something non-alcoholic. 

34 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

There is a valid question about whether to tip 20% on a $200 bottle of wine that requires no more effort to serve than a $30 bottle.

Taking that argument to its logical conclusion, should one reserve 20% tips for multi-course tasting menus (much more effort to serve) and only tip 10% at diners/neighborhood places?