Eleven Madison Park

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

There is a valid question about whether to tip 20% on a $200 bottle of wine that requires no more effort to serve than a $30 bottle.

Well, I figure you know the answer(s), but:

1- all tipping is basically arbitrary & not based on "ease of service" &

2- is my steak harder to serve than my hamburger?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

A visitor having business with the lord arrives at a great manor house in Western Europe.  He is greeted by the lady of the house. "And where is your husband?", the visitor asks, after pleasantri

Posted Images

Tipping isn't a reward for good service.  It's the way these people get paid, since the restaurant is permitted to pay tipped employees below minimum -- and even at places that pay above minimum, salary is set with the expectation of tips.  (Which makes you curious how EMP's compensation arrangements changed after reintroduction of tipping.)

It's really a disgusting system.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:41 AM, rozrapp said:

Reservations for February opened on January 1st. And from what I’ve gathered, they’ve been selling out each month immediately. That means patrons dining in February didn’t know about the change when they booked. Even if tips are not mandatory, I can’t imagine people won’t do so.  Presuming they tip 20%, they will be paying $400 for food + drinks and tax. What I think will be interesting to look for is whether, at this price, bookings will continue to sell out in March and going forward.

Orik's point was that EMP came up with a way to raise their prices that could be imposed retroactively on prepaid Tock reservationholders (which couldn't be done if you were to do it straightforwardly). 

Normally, Tock reservationholders (who have already paid for their meals) couldn't be hit with a price increase that they "didn't know about".  That's precisely the point.  These people have been SCREWED.  It's reprehensible.

23 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Tipping isn't a reward for good service.  It's the way these people get paid, since the restaurant is permitted to pay tipped employees below minimum -- and even at places that pay above minimum, salary is set with the expectation of tips.  (Which makes you curious how EMP's compensation arrangements changed after reintroduction of tipping.)

And of course it's disgusting in all directions, because tipped income throws FOH compensation way higher than BOH, just because FOH get to interact with customers who will give them money directly.

12 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

yes, the federal tipped minimum wage is $2.13/hr. and that rate hasn’t changed since the 1990s thanks in part to the other nra (the national restaurant association). ofc in the absence of action by congress, the states have enacted various legislation to fill the void with predictable results as the policies vary by state. 

here are the guidelines for new york.

33 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

And of course it's disgusting in all directions, because tipped income throws FOH compensation way higher than BOH, just because FOH get to interact with customers who will give them money directly.

In a market where tipping is common, service-included restaurants won't be able to reduce FOH pay and won't need to increase BOH pay. What they will certainly do is pocket as much as they can from the service charges. 

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Normally, Tock reservationholders (who have already paid for their meals) couldn't be hit with a price increase that they "didn't know about".  That's precisely the point.  These people have been SCREWED.  It's reprehensible.

I would think if one wanted to, they could have their credit card reverse the charge; I'm pretty sure, at least with the card I use, that changing a charged price after the charge has been made is reason enough.

Once again, I'm not saying that this isn't a despicable move by the restaurant. But there have to be ways for the customer to have some protection against the practice.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Orik's point was that EMP came up with a way to raise their prices that could be imposed retroactively on prepaid Tock reservationholders (which couldn't be done if you were to do it straightforwardly). 

So, the point Orik and you are making is that just by them saying tipping isn’t mandatory, they can get away with screwing those who have already paid?