Eleven Madison Park

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Right - they're horrible people, and it kinda sucks, and they help with the money for the building of hospitals, universities, concert halls, wings of museums, etc.;  basically, the price they pay for being so horrible.

Sure, but he also uses his money for that really bad stuff. I don't think the good stuff absolves the bad.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a couple of times before and although perfectly ok I found it pretty ho hum; neither as exciting as a top tier restaurant (the Danny Meyer effect) nor as satisfying as a decent bistro. But a

I look forward to the next iteration, when he transforms it into the first NFT restaurant, with menus of Non-Food Tokens for 500 Ethereum. You sit at a table and look at pictures of food and wine bott

A visitor having business with the lord arrives at a great manor house in Western Europe.  He is greeted by the lady of the house. "And where is your husband?", the visitor asks, after pleasantri

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, sweatshorts said:

Sure, but he also uses his money for that really bad stuff. I don't think the good stuff absolves the bad.

It certainly doesn't, and it would be nice if only good rich people gave their money for institutions like the ones I've mentioned.

But...

Right, but the point is that it's one thing when evil rich people try to salvage their reputations by endowing public goods (hospitals, etc.).  But there's another kind of evil rich person who doesn't do that, but rather uses his money for evil purposes extrinsic to his business.

Sweatshorts isn't saying he feels bad using some hospital, or going to some concert hall, because it was endowed by an evil rich person. He's saying he feels bad buying tickets when they guy who ultimately gets the services fees uses the money to fund evil things (NOT hospitals but organizations trying to curtail people's rights).

I mean, are the Chik Fill-A (or whatever it's called) guys building hospitals -- or just funding oppression?

33 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Right, but the point is that it's one thing when evil rich people try to salvage their reputations by endowing public goods (hospitals, etc.).  But there's another kind of evil rich person who doesn't do that, but rather uses his money for evil purposes extrinsic to his business.

Having grown up in a country known for unfettered liberalism - and I don't mean the US - basic infrastructure provided by voluntary largesse is a strong sign of a really unhealthy economy and tax system. 

But that's what I meant when I said that capitalism (at least the unfettered U.S. kind) is so fucked up that it almost doesn't make a difference if you're indirectly helping fund disenfranchisement and oppression.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

In the end, I myself think you just can't think about it.  Just engaging in capitalism is so dirty that the other stuff almost doesn't matter.

Exactly - and where would we get our truffles?

36 minutes ago, voyager said:

Like snails, lobster, frais du bois, exotic mushrooms, chestnuts, game, ramps, I wonder if truffles weren't earlier simply existence food for peasants.   

I don’t think peasants had much access to game. And of course local mushrooms would not be exotic (by definition 😉).