Make that Tadich Grill. (I wish I could correct titles here). The is one of my favorite SF eateries for seafood and cioppino. I haven't been in years, though I recently recommended it to someone. Has anyone been recently? Has it been reviewed anywhere lately?

Tadich is just as it has always been, thank God. Had lunch there just last week -- good as ever. With Original Joe's and Sam's Grill, it carries on the old San Francisco downtown tradition. From a Chronicle 'Revisit' last September:

After 155 years, Tadich Grill still serves delicious, fresh seafood, straightforward grilled meats and homey casseroles. Pan-fried sand dabs and sole and mesquite-grilled dishes truly star, but don't overlook San Francisco classics like the cioppino or hangtown fry. Decor and waitstaff remains virtually untouched. -- Amanda Berne
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Yesterday afternoon was a true transit cock-up, in that Amtrak, Caltrain, VTA, and BART all managed to hit either people or cars on the tracks at around the same time. I took advantage of the long Caltrain delays to hit up Tadich for a quick supper at the bar, as I'd been meaning to go for a while. With tip, I ended up paying close to $50 for a Dungeness Crab Louie salad and a glass of sauvignon blanc, but the salad was huge with plenty of meat, including claw meat. And you can't beat the atmosphere and the bar waiter who kept asking me if everything was "groovy".

Crab Louie and sourdough bread are a great SF combination.

Yesterday afternoon was a true transit cock-up, in that Amtrak, Caltrain, VTA, and BART all managed to hit either people or cars on the tracks at around the same time. I took advantage of the long Caltrain delays to hit up Tadich for a quick supper at the bar, as I'd been meaning to go for a while. With tip, I ended up paying close to $50 for a Dungeness Crab Louie salad and a glass of sauvignon blanc, but the salad was huge with plenty of meat, including claw meat. And you can't beat the atmosphere and the bar waiter who kept asking me if everything was "groovy".

That's really about the same as you'd pay at Swan - when we were there in February, I think the Crab Louis was close to $30...once again, with practically 1/2 lb. of local Dungeness.

P. S.- Wasn't (isn't) Tadich known as well for their sand dabs?

That's really about the same as you'd pay at Swan - when we were there in February, I think the Crab Louis was close to $30...once again, with practically 1/2 lb. of local Dungeness.

P. S.- Wasn't (isn't) Tadich known as well for their sand dabs?

That's why I love Tadich. I almost always have sand dabs, which I can't get at home.

Although the last time I was there, a guy sitting next to me recommended the cioppino, which did look pretty good as it alwasy does when I see it there.