Is here a standard timeline that the PR and print journalist use/expect to cover an event?

I am interested in sending a simple release to NJ daily and weekly newspapers and monthly magazines, along with a few wine publications, regarding a wine tasting in a private home. ( yes, it's special and has a "hook"). Do I send it a month before, and then a reminder a week before? Send it 2 weeks before? fax it 3 days before...etc, etc. Any guidance appreciated.

Is here a standard timeline that the PR and print journalist use/expect to cover an event?

I am interested in sending a simple release to NJ daily and weekly newspapers and monthly magazines, along with a few wine publications, regarding a wine tasting in a private home. ( yes, it's special and has a "hook"). Do I send it a month before, and then a reminder a week before? Send it 2 weeks before? fax it 3 days before...etc, etc. Any guidance appreciated.

I usually get press releases for events anywhere from two weeks to a month before an event. Then I get a reminder 2 to 3 days beforehand.

Just an FYI, however... As a wine journalist, I get a staggering 50 to 100 press releases a week; most of them event-related. About twice a week, a PR firm will physically call me to follow-up and see if I got the press release and asking if I will be attending. These tend to be the heavily-promoted events that they really want coverage on (and often include accomodations or something, if outside my area).

The hardest part will be press releases sent to freelancers like myself. The mags and newspapers already have their staff to cover such events (if they choose to). Even if the hook is really good, there is rarely enough time for a freelancer who might want to cover the event to pitch the idea to a mag, get it accepted, and then get it written in time for the publication. That is why you see so few of the smaller tasting events covered. The big ones are covered by staff writers and usually have great sponsors (i.e., those who advertise in said mags).

Just my two cents.