Once again you want don't want to have a discussion about restaurants or cuisines. You want to have a personal discussion about me and my views and attitudes. And all this does is hide the fact that you have nothing to say about restaurants or cuisines. :lol:

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again you want don't want to have a discussion about restaurants or cuisines. You want to have a personal discussion about me and my views and attitudes. And all this does is hide the fact that you have nothing to say about restaurants or cuisines.

As made evident by some tens of thousands of messages about restaurants and cuisine on various boards and a couple of dozens of magazine articles... :lol:

I don't have anything against you personally, I have no idea who you are, but your opinions as reflected by your posts are those that mdibiasio allured to. I hope he's wrong.

edit: and as friendly reminder, lest people think my previous response was parody:

I'm not sure why anyone would "go out for a Peruvian", or to any South American restaurant for that matter. There is no "cuisine" as such, just lots of heavy carb laden stodge. Which maybe fine if you've got to herd goats up and down mountains all day, but which lacks any kind of point for London's office bound sophisticates.

Let me try and spell this out. Nick cited John Mariani's missive on restaurants in Istanbul. I said that what he said was fair enough because he enjoyed all his meals but was uncritical about them. I said that that didn't really help because being uncritical was not conducive to people who were interested in top dining didn't have a yardstick to guage the quality by. I said that Turkish restaurants that I had been to outside of Istanbul did not come up to that standard and neither did Turkish restaurants in London. I repied to Behemoth that Lebanese restaurants in London were of a very high standard. by contrast.

I then posed the issue that Turkish and Greek restaurants in London were not generally up to the mark and that many Chinese restaurants were also falling behind because they were not keeping pace with modern dining needs in a city where people had a lot of disposable income to spend in restaurants.

Instead of discussing what I consider interesting issues about restaurants and cuisines I get personal and idiotic remarks that have nothing whatsoever to do with restaurants and cuisines and everything to do with me personally

Why? Have you something to say about Tukish restaurants or not? I can only assume that these personalised comments are covering up a lack of knowledge in restaurants and cuisines and more to do with a need to come up with a load of personal blather instead. :lol:

Are you genuinely interested? In which case I'll be pleased to tell you. Or is that just another sarky and stupid personalised remark? (if the former I apologise in advance) :lol:

I believe Rose was being sarcastic, in that your post reminded her of the attitude of someone else.

I believe Rose was being sarcastic, in that your post reminded her of the attitude of someone else.

Which post was it, since you're a spokesman (woman) for her, that reminded the sarcastic Rose of someone else? Because nobody else on here has "attitudes" of course :lol: ;)

Why? Have you something to say about Tukish restaurants or not? I can only assume that these personalised comments are covering up a lack of knowledge in restaurants and cuisines and more to do with a need to come up with a load of personal blather instead. :lol:

The "personal" comments convey disapproval of your opinions and are not meant to cover up anything.

Nick cited John Mariani's missive on restaurants in Istanbul. I said that what he said was fair enough because he enjoyed all his meals but was uncritical about them. I said that that didn't really help because being uncritical was not conducive to people who were interested in top dining didn't have a yardstick to guage the quality by.

Dude, I don't believe you're actually this obtuse. You think he posted about every one of his meals in Istanbul? This is his newsletter, for people who, if they care, have some broader idea of his tastes and critical standards. If what you care about is whether you can trust Mariani's tastes, why don't you just read some more of his work, instead of being critical of his capsule best-of-Istanbul for not including the worst as well? Please note that I'm addressing your argument on its merits, or lack thereof.

He wasn't sent to do a review of a specific restaurant. He featured on his web page the best of what he found in Istanbul. He doesn't wish to feature the places he didn't like. This is neither unusual nor discreditable, it seems to me.

They are fancier but the food is not better. The produce you get in Lebanon is simply unavailable outside of the country.

Is it safe to assume that the produce in Lebanon is substantially similar to produce in Israel? (Depending on what parts of Lebanon and what parts of Israel). Plenty of Israeli produce is exported, so perhaps some of it is comparable?

Is it safe to assume that the produce in Lebanon is substantially similar to produce in Israel? (Depending on what parts of Lebanon and what parts of Israel). Plenty of Israeli produce is exported, so perhaps some of it is comparable?

I assume the quality is more than substantially similar in Israel. But like california strawberries (or Meyer lemons, which I've never had :lol: ) on the east coast, some things just don't seem to travel well.