Fromagerie in Rumson

FoodSnob posted an interesting item on eG.

David Burke has purchased Fromagerie and is in the process of retooling the menu, and updating the restaurant. It will definitely be a welcome addition to the area, which currently boasts Nicholas on the high end.

Andrea Clurfeld wrote the article for the Asbury Park Press

Fromagerie

He's maintained a close friendship with the Peter's family during his entire career, and I think its a very special opportunity for him to slow down a bit. I was there a few weeks ago and the Fromagereie really has great flow and classic proportions..I think it can continue to be one of the Shore's more elegant restaurants.

He's maintained a close friendship with the Peter's family during his entire career, and I think its a very special opportunity for him to slow down a bit. I was there a few weeks ago and the Fromagereie really has great flow and classic proportions..I think it can continue to be one of the Shore's more elegant restaurants.

There's no slowin' that boy down. He's driven! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Oh, Kim, you shameless shill. :)

I know...relentless :)

I also hear they will have two spectacularly handsome, wonderful, extra special bus boys on weekends. :)

I didn't notice any spectacularly handsome, wonderful, extra special bus boys last night, but the rest of the staff was quite accomplished.

For readers who haven't been there before, Fromagerie is located in a residential area of Rumson. It's a large, rambling building in an area of elegant older "summer homes" very close to the river. Some of the neighbors have their own boat docks.

Friendly greeting, shown to our table. The right side of the house contains a large room with curved glass windows, and seats about 70 people. There's a left side room which seats about 40.

Offered an amuse of rock shrimp over a soba noodle stuffed with flavored rice. Small beaker of kumquat tea. The briny taste of the shrimp was a nice counterpoint to the very sweet tea A giant popover with a crust or butter and cheese was presented. Excellent, nicely browned, crunchy.

The menu had several interesting alternatives, like pastrami smoked salmon, ginger crusted salmon with soft pea packets in a fennel broth, soy honey duck with lap cheung, and the creekstone farms filet and rib steaks.

My mother ordered a beef filet, which was fine, done exactly to order, but not remarkable. My father had an appetizer of 'east and west" oysters, kumato and bluepoints which he said were tasty and briny. The plating was quite attractive, with a range of colors among the sauce and garnishes.

Dee had the appetizer of snails in stuffed pasta shells in a complex, slightly Asian broth. This was visually very engaging, with five moderate sized tan shells in a pool of broth derived from garlic, onions, peppers, chilis, lemongrass, etc Very nicely done. Her entree was the Angry Lobster, a clone of its NY cousin. Lobster disassembled, and pieces placed on a metal base, so the various elements of the lobster are vertical. The pieces are taken off the pronged base, and you remove the meat. Very hot, with a deep, spicy aftertaste.

I passed on an appetizer, but had the softshell crabs, which were a special. Two large specimens, perfectly done in a spiced finish (maybe flour plus old bay and several of the Asian spices?). Nicely plated over frisee, and white asparagus.

Our wine was a Williams Selyem Pinot Noir 2004 ($125?) which was fine. Light enough to work on a warm summer evening. The sommelier mentioned that they had purchased the Peters' brothers cellar, and were actively expanding it in the American wines as well as filling in the European gaps. There were many holes which will undoubtedly be addressed over the next few months.

Overall, for a restaurant in business for under 2 months, they're doing exceptionally well. The food was precisely coooked, of very high quality, plated / garnished with imagination, and served with care. At this price level, they have significant competition. While it's too early to be sure, my guess is Nicholas Harary is already looking for ways to enhance his superb establishment two miles away.

The room was well staffed for the modest number of guests, and the pacing was excellent. This will mature into a wonderful restaurant.

Dinner for four people (2 apps, 4 mains, plus wine) was about $360 with a generous tip

A few minor quibbles. Specials should be recited with prices. My crab special was more expensive than all but one item on the menu. The staff interrupted conversations among guests (I noticed that at several tables, among several servers). The check was delivered unrequested, with the coffee. Minor, as noted. I'm sure the rooms will be updated for fit, trim, and polish over time

Three steps up to the dining level, ladies room is located on the second floor.

The handsome bus boys have apparantly chosen to take up employment at EB Games at the mall...because after all, how can you improve upon a job that encourages you to play video games? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest =Mark

There's no slowin' that boy down. He's driven! :blush:

He's also quite the noodge, which I discovored by sharing several too many Coronas with him about ten years ago... :P

Do they still have a dress code? They had been one of the few local places that still required guys to wear jackets.

I didn't wear a jacket for our mid-week dinner, although I had one stashed in the car just in case. Perhaps half the men present were wearing suits or blazer type jackets. It's definitely not a torn jeans and t-shirt place, though.

Don't know about Saturday night, etc.

• 1 month later...

Cody Kendall reviews, with a description that doesn't seem to add up to the stars offered. Found the service to be seriously flawed, but really enjoyed the food.

If you accept that the food here is equal to Nicholas, Lorena's, and David Drake's, the clearly superior service levels at these three ought to count for something.

Fromagerie is a restaurant that I really want to revisit, and the bar menu sounds like a substantial benefit

Ledger = 3.5 stars

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rosie notes that the remodeling has been finished...

NJ Monthly

The renovations are complete in the three dining rooms at David Burke Fromagerie, 26 Ridge Road, Rumson, with new lighting, decor, and artwork and antiques from Chef Burke’s extensive collection. Menu items include: hot and angry lobster cocktail; sashimi of yellowfin tuna on Himalayan rock salt; seared Chatham cod with jumbo prawns; day boat sea scallops “Benedict”; and organic chicken served with Yukon gold whipped potatoes.
  • 2 years later...

The Asbury Park Press has a nice write up on brunch at Fromagerie...

... delicious -- a tiny bit of crunch outside, pillowy and so flavorful inside (they're made with vanilla batter, I overheard one waiter say.) But the trio of sauces served alongside them -- chocolate, raspberry and my favorite, salted caramel (I used up the whole mini bottle. Shhhh.) -- made these treats extraordinary, which I say without exaggeration. You can fill the little doughnuts or drizzle the sauce over the top -- either way, you'll polish them off. But don't worry -- they keep them coming.

From there we headed into the bar area, where the buffet is served. We loaded our plates -- yogurt parfaits filled with fruit and granola, French toast, tasty sausage, bacon, potatoes (a dish that would be better made-to-order; they're hard to keep from steaming in a chafing dish), roast pork from the carving station, macaroni and cheese, mini bagels spread with cream cheese, lox, capers, quail eggs and honey mustard, and cheese dripped with crystalized honey.

It was delicious, all of it. But the eggs Benedict were something else, thanks to the hollandaise, which was creamy with just enough lemony bite. My dining companion, who nearly always skips breakfast, had three.

APP

• 1 year later...