Wilfrid1

Blue Hill at Stone Barns

Quick query about getting to BHSB (and apologies if this has already been answered, but 341 posts...)

I need to get to BHSB from JFK. I can't drive. I understand that the train isn't an option owing to timescales. The rather unhelpful reservation taker at BHSB has just told me to take a cab. Any idea if this is likely to bankrupt me?

Quick query about getting to BHSB (and apologies if this has already been answered, but 341 posts...)

I need to get to BHSB from JFK. I can't drive. I understand that the train isn't an option owing to timescales. The rather unhelpful reservation taker at BHSB has just told me to take a cab. Any idea if this is likely to bankrupt me?

Yes, it will (if it's even possible). You could arrange for a hired car but I'd hazzard a guess of $100+ one way and then you'd need a ride back to your hotel.

Perhaps a connecting flight to Westchester Airport? Jet BLue flies there, I think.

You could take a taxi to Grand Central ($45 plus tolls and tip) and then take a train to Tarrytown (45 minutes, not sure about the cost) and then a taxi from there (only about 7 minutes). I'm tired just from writing that. :blink:

There's probably some kind of van service that goes from JFK to Tarrytown, or at least nearby in Westchester. I'm thinking of CT Limo, for instance, but that of course goes to CT. The JFK website, if it is as useful as the EWR (Newark) website, should have van services listed on it.

Well, if you do make it out there, the return trip is a bit less painful. Tarrytown Taxi will drop you off in Manhattan (at least the UWS) for $60.

lol. very phil collins, live aid.

i can just see tana's face if i arrive in a helicopter.

stupid question, but what's a van service?

stupid question, but what's a van service?

In the US, "van service" is often used to describe a seven to nine passenger for hire with driver motorcar. Often a stretched out SUV, or small bus.

Super Shuttle, which Omni mentioned, is a company which specializes in travel to and from airports.

You could take a taxi to Grand Central ($45 plus tolls and tip) and then take a train to Tarrytown (45 minutes, not sure about the cost) and then a taxi from there (only about 7 minutes). I'm tired just from writing that. :blink:

That's looking like my best bet. Rough suggestion about how long JFK to Grand Central will be in a cab at about 5.00pm? Is there a quicker way?

Plus don't forget the trains to Tarrytown run on a set schedule:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Cab at 5pm from JFK to GCT...well first it depends on if there's a line at JFK for a cab, depends on traffic...maybe you should call a car service to meet you instead of taking a yellow cab? 45 minutes at least...

Somebody told me that Super Shuttle doesn't go to Tarrytown.

Another idea - call Tarrytown Taxi and see what they suggest - maybe they have some kind of flat fee from JFK (by the time you take a cab to Grand Central, then the train, then another cab...perhaps a cab straight to Tarrytown wouldn't be so different?)

Carmel Car Service charges $76 one way from JFK to Tarrytown (plus tolls and tips).

Fergus Henderson at BH at SB

Berkshire Pork Meal, May 8, 2005

A wonderful meal tonight :)

Hors d'oeuvres included rabbit liver on buttered toast, rabbit liver (smoother texture, denser). We arrived late, and could not sample all the hors d'oeuvres. The hors d'oeuvres were sampled outdoors. It was a bit cold at this time, and the bites of rabbit offal really hit the spot.

-- Yellow beet julienne, shallots, capers salad.

Hard-boiled eggs (smallish) with runny yolk. Freshly laid that day. A bright orange, intense runny yolk. F Henderson noted that the eggs were hard to peel because they were so fresh.

Burford and Brown, Sauvignon Blanc 2004. This was a better match for the yellow beet portion of the served items than the egg. A clean tasting wine.

-- Berkshire pork head and trotters, Ramps, carrots, baby chard. Room-temperature-plus, integrated, “moist and mushy†(per Henderson) mass as centrepiece. Augmented by garlicky aspects of ramp segments. A very interesting dish, especially texturally. The skin segments were in relatively intact portions.

Rosso di Montepulciano. Villa Anna 2002. Quite a strong wine. The head and trotters dish could have been paired with white or red, in my mind. However, the same wine was used for the loin course.

-- Berkshire Pig Loin, Ferns and Anchovy Sauce. A very good dish. A thick piece of loin the color of blush. Flavorful, simple, well-prepared. (F Henderson's former sous-chef Ed was assisting in the kitchen. F Henderson was seated with diners throughout the meal.). The ferns were wondeful, and of course reflected seasonal considerations.

Anchovy saucing worked well with the signature minimalist-style, ingredient-driven dish featuring pork. Interesting fish sensations provided, as well as a certain saltiness which was pleasing with the pork. Pork was very well-executed; not at all overcooked like almost all the pork I have in NYC outside of BH.

Side were browned parsnips.

-- Goat cheese curd, with circular biscuit. Laced with plum eau de vie. Very nice cheese course. A texture to the goat cheese almost bordering on heavy whipped cream.