Dirty Bird To Go

Last night a few MFers gathered for the solemn task of assessing this new chicken take-out owned by Allison Vines Rushing of Jack's Luxury Oyster Bar fame. Eater has posted the menu: Dirty Bird

We sampled most of the savory menu with the exception of the chicken fingers. Mac and Cheese is no longer on the menu and will not return for about a month.

This place is IMO a work in progress. I think anyone opening a restaurant should note the following: Arrange for the PR and promotion to begin after the restaurant has been in operation for a few weeks.

The fried chicken, although the color of the crust appeared too dark and made me worry it had been overcooked, was very good. The flesh was moist, the crust was crispy and very tasty and the whole thing was juicy and delicious. The balancing of the flavors of the crust was well executed. The chicken was, no doubt, marinated and had good flavor. I'm guessing that part of the marinade was buttermilk, which is traditional for Southern style fried chicken.

The roast chicken was fine if not transcendent.

Sides of dirty rice and roasted potatoes were not great. The rice was dry and unevenly spicy. The potatoes were drab. Chopped salad was serviceable.

More work needs to be done for this place to be any kind of destination but the fried chicken was head and shoulders above any take-out currently available (to the extent that I know about such things). They need to work on the rest of their project.

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last night a few MFers gathered for the solemn task of assessing this new chicken take-out owned by Allison Vines Rushing of Jack's Luxury Oyster Bar fame. Eater has posted the menu: Dirty Bird  

The fried chicken was a very solid rendition indeed, and the chicken meat itself was impressively moist and flavorful. Another of the disappointing sides was the corn bread, which looked like limp slices of congealed polenta and didn't taste too much better. This was definitely not the usual fluffy and cakey cornbread that most are used to. I really hope that they improve their sides significantly.

What Rose said. I had two thighs and a wing and liked them very much. I thought the cornbread was not good at all: dry, with a slightly slick surface and a texture that was dense and almost rubbery. This chicken travels very well: it was consumed well over an hour after it was purchased, during which time it sat at room temperature.

Have you tried Big Daddy's?

Is it better than the fried chicken one can make at home? As to the rest, it sounds (from the reports here and on other sites) that you can get better roast chicken and rice in the average Latino diner. And for a fraction of the price.

sorry to go off on a tangent, but has anyone tried the roast chicken at Musette, the takeout spot on 3rd ave around 20th?? i just moved to the neighborhood and stopped in last night.. the chicks looked and smelled incredible but i was headed out so i just grabbed a baguette, which was worthwhile..

Musette chickens used to be very good. When I lived near there I got one once in a while. I don't know if any of this has changed, but they were available as either a whole or half with a choice of stuffing or roasted vegetables.

Big Daddy's was cited in the recent Time Out piece on fried chicken options. It wasn't bad. Lacks cachet, of course.

I am getting cynical, aren't I?

I had to stop using Musette because the French owner and I were in danger of coming to blows. I don't know if it's still in the same hands.

I think anyone opening a restaurant should note the following: Arrange for the PR and promotion to begin after the restaurant has been in operation for a few weeks.

as a restaurant PR pro: this won't fly with the media because after a few weeks, the opening is not "news" and the press - not so interested. esp. when a somewhat known name (chef, owner) is involved.

the media is interested in two things: "new" & "celebrity" (of course, "new & celebrity" is a veritable media orgasm, vide: mario, jean georges, etc.). most want to report an opening the day of or even before - and be the first to do so, sometimes exclusive. the push for being the first to write about an opening is not new but the competition has gotten tighter with the internet - daily candy, blogs and boards, where info can be posted instantly.

that said, a smart PR person will plan the opening announcement so that the restaurant gets as much press as possible while giving it as much time as possible to work out the kinks - it won't be "a few weeks" but a week or few days is better than nothing.

i tried to go today not simply because i was in that area around lunchtime but because i wanted to participate in the hyping antihypester set here. but i couldn't find it -- where on west 14th is it? in fact i didn't eat lunch, just had a cappucino and a small bite of cheese instead.