Sign in to follow this  
Abbylovi

Arugula Pesto

I can't seem to pass a bunch of arugula without buying it so I think one solution is arugula pesto. Most likely, I'll just follow my basic pesto recipe but I wanted to see if others have made it and if so...what should I know?

• Like 7

It's delicious, much more intense than pesto made with basil. To my taste, it doesn't need as much cheese as the basil version. And I like to put some scallions or shallots in it along with the garlic. A little bit of chopped oil-marinated sun-dried tomato stirred in after blending is a nice variation.

to my taste it is milder than the classic basil pesto.

I made an arugula pesto last week using garlic, pine nuts baby arugula (the kind with pointy leaves- very peppery raw) and goat cheese.

Sound great. What did you do with it?

served it over whole wheat spaghetti- after processing arugula, garlic, pine nuts and olive oil dump into bowl- mush in about 3" of a log of soft goat cheese. Mix well with salt and pepper in serving bowl Save some pasta water to thin.

My first attempt was not so successful, it was too bitter even though I added a lot of goat cheese.

I did the following: toasted pine nuts, garlic. Whizzed in food processor. Added dried tomatoes. Whizzed. Added oil. Added arugula. Whizzed. Added goat cheese. Whizzed. Mixed in some parm just for fun.

The bitterness of the arugula, which I find varies greatly, is the factor here, no? The arugula I got from Gorcynzski at the market last week was terrific in a salad but I think it might have been too bitter for pesto.

The bitterness of the arugula, which I find varies greatly, is the factor here, no? The arugula I got from Gorcynzski at the market last week was terrific in a salad but I think it might have been too bitter for pesto.

That's my guess as well. The arugula from Mountain Berry is also on the bitter side. (Which I love but could be distracting in a pesto.) I find the stuff from Berried Treasure and the non-wild at Windfall a bit tamer.

That's my guess as well. The arugula from Mountain Berry is also on the bitter side. (Which I love but could be distracting in a pesto.) I find the stuff from Berried Treasure and the non-wild at Windfall a bit tamer.

I think y'all are right. I'll try Berried Treasure's next time.

to my taste it is milder than the classic basil pesto.

I made an arugula pesto last week using garlic, pine nuts baby arugula (the kind with pointy leaves- very peppery raw) and goat cheese.

quantities please

quantities please

one plump clove garlic chopped fine in food processor

two BIG handfuls of small leaf arugula

1 tablespoon-ish pine nuts (not toasted)

3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Blend above ingredients in food processor scrape into bowl

3oz of soft creamy goat cheese blend with arugula mixture in bowl

course salt and fresh pepper

Boil pasta save some pasta water for loosening up mixture

I find anything other than the baby arugula too bitter to eat raw. I love arugula in a mustardy vinaigrette in a roast beef sandwich.