LonghornGal

[austin] Crepes on South Lamar

At about 4:30 pm I was driving South on Lamar and a small light blue sign caught my eye... crepes! I logged a mental note for dinner crepe-ing.

Headed back north at 6:20, no crepes to be found. :lol: I am not sure of the exact location - somewhere south of the Starbucks by the Genie car wash (I was drinking a frappucino as I drove past)... and somewhere north of the Alligator Grill. I have a feeling it was near Floribunda plant shop.

Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone tried the mysterious disappearing crepes? I was looking forward to reliving parts of a great festival I went to in Germany, where there were all sorts of mysteriously delicious crepes.

And now that we all have a crepe craving, where in Austin can one find a crepe, outside of IHOP?

--LHG

Chez Nous usually has a couple of savory crepes on their lunch menu. I seem to recall one being seafood, not sure about the other.

Edit to add--they also have crepes on their dessert menu.

And now that we all have a crepe craving, where in Austin can one find a crepe, outside of IHOP?

--LHG

Heh heh... at our house! I'd been craving them for quite some time and made some yummy mushroom ones a couple weeks back... you come on back anytime, you hear?

--LHG

There was a neat little crepe place on 183, waaaaay north in Cedar Park. It was more like a crepe shack with one guy working 2 crepe griddles. The few times I was there it was good and had an authentic menu like you would see in Paris with both sweet and savory. My favorite was the nutella crepe.

I stopped going there when the construction started on the 183 extension and never made it back. It was a small nondescript white building on the south side of 183.

Yea, I know little details like name, address or telephone number would be helpful.... I saw the place once while driving and stopped in, then just magically found my way back there.

Do not know if they are still open?

In the mall across the street from our apartment here in Bogota, there's a place called 'Crepes and Waffles'. Went there with the girls. It was pretty good.

I wonder if someone's going to read this and open up a place in Austin. That sure would be fun!

Ah HA!

I was not hallucinating! Today I spotted the crepes sign again - outside Floribunda plant shop on Lamar. Sadly I already had dinner plans elsewhere.

But now that I know where to look, I plan to go investigate the crepes!

--LHG

The saga continues...

Friday, as I drove by, I saw the sign and a line! I wasn't hungry, so I skipped. It's a shiny little silver trailer, sort of a yuppie version of the taco truck.

Sunday evening, 7pm, I hopefully turned into the parking lot. Sadly, they were not open. However I did see a lovely menu, topped off with "Chicken with Carmelized Onion and Feta Crepe". How can that NOT be good? The rest of the menu was jam packed with yummy looking items as well.

One of these days, I will eat there. It is my goal for the month of June!

OMG. Crepe-tastic. I love the crepe.

The scoop: Flip Happy Crepes. Tues - Sat 530p - 9p, lunch 11-2 on Fri and Sat. 2041 S Lamar in the Floribunda parking lot. My desire for crepes was almost thwarted once again due to a lack of ready cash, however a quick perusal of the in-dash storage area revealed a forgotten stash of quarters. The crepes are MINE!!!

There were two very sweet and friendly young women running the crepery. Cheerful and clean and colorful picnic tables. Pink flamingos along the fence. A giant chalkboard menu, including savory crepes (most $5.50 except the salmon at 6.25):

• Roasted Chicken w/ carmelized onions and goat cheese
  • Roasted Veggies with feta buttermilk sauce
  • Ham and Gruyere with green onions
  • Cuban - shredded pork with cheddar, pickles, and tobasco
  • 3 cheese with carmelized onions
  • pesto, goat cheese, spinach and sundried tomatoes
  • smoked salmon with herbed cream cheese, spinach, and tomato

sweet crepes ($3 to 3.75):

• lemon and sugar
  • nutella and fruit
  • brownie w/ dark chocolate and chantilly
  • vanilla pastry cream w berry sauce
  • mixed berry with chantilly or dark choc
  • lemon curd w blueberry dressing
  • lime delight

menu notes: all ingredients made from scratch with love.

I asked what was most popular - the chicken with goat cheese. Got one to go and took it back to the house. OMG. Warm crepe yumminess. If I had stayed and eaten there I definitely would have ordered dessert! A large crepe filled with the perfect ratio of yummy innards. Good texture to the crepe and insides were well dispersed for even consumption of all flavors. It paired nicely with the overly bright Pepperwood Grove Chardonnay I had hanging out in the fridge. I enoyed every bite and look forward to working my way through the menu! A must try if you are in the neighborhood, and extremely portable if you are on the run.

--LHG

I'm going to try to stop by there tomorrow or Friday - I'm off the next two days!

You know you hit the big time when Kelso writes about you.......

article

COMMENTARY: JOHN KELSO

Two gals are cooking and selling crepes out of a trailer in South Austin; What's next? Space aliens landing on Capitol lawn?

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Your first inclination when you see the food trailer in the parking lot on South Lamar will be to walk up to the window and ask for salsa.

Don't bother. Even though Flip Happy Crepes looks like one of those taco carts you see all over town, it isn't.

What it is is two women selling French crepes out of a used silver '66 Avion trailer, parked in the lot behind Floribunda, a plant business at 2041 S. Lamar Blvd.

Crepes, just a couple of doors down from Martinez Brothers Taxidermists? What's in those crepes, anyway?

"My dad suggested we call it Euro Tacos," said Nessa Higgins, one of the partners in Flip Happy Crepes. "My husband suggested we should call it Full of Crepe," added Andrea Day Boykin, the other half of the team.

Andrea describes the venture as "Paris in a trailer."

This business is about as French as you can get when you're selling crepes out of a trailer in a Bubbaland parking lot not far from Mom's Tattoos. The business, which opened in April, even sells bottled Perrier, or what James White, owner of the Broken Spoke honky-tonk a few blocks south, refers to as "Pierre water."

The two ladies have even invested about $1,000 in a couple of fancy Krampouz crepe griddles that they use in their cramped trailer kitchen.

"And we play French music," Nessa said. "We have a variety of French CDs we do, especially on Friday night." There is dining al fresco, made possible by some colorful mix-and-match tables with a couple of big umbrellas set up in front of the trailer. Decorations include an old red wooden Coke cooler.

Not that everybody around here knows a crepe from a Chevy. This being Bubba-

land, some people walk up and ask for pancakes. And other things.

"They always come up and asked for the slushy ice — what's that called? — the shaved ice," Nessa said. The place doesn't have that, either. But they do have pesto, goat cheese, spinach and sun-dried tomato crepes, ham and Gruyére cheese and green onion crepes, smoked salmon crepes and some sweet crepes, too, including caramelized bananas drizzled with dark chocolate sauce.

But there is no chorizo in sight. Nessa thought about adding cole slaw. But that didn't fly. "Andrea said we're not doing cole slaw even though we're in Texas," Nessa said. I think they should do a smoked brisket crepe to fit the territory.

This all started eight years ago when Andrea was at an open-air market in Ireland, standing in a long line for crepes being sold by a couple out of a trailer. It occurred to Andrea that if that many people were lining up for something, that something must be good.

"I never got over it," she said. "So for eight years, I've been talking about selling crepes out of a trailer in South Austin."

The two gals didn't want to risk making a big investment on a restaurant. So, they decided to find an old trailer instead. Nessa did the legwork and drove all over the countryside to hunt one down. When she found one parked out in the boonies near Lockhart that looked promising, she left a note on the door. Later, she got a call back from a guy she calls Cowboy Dan, who sold the gals his old trailer for $2,500.

"You know, Cowboy Dan has yet to have a crepe," Nessa said. "He's an older gentleman, and he doesn't come into the city much at all. We need to take one out to him."

Shoot, take him a burrito. He won't know the difference.