Ba Xuyen. Very solid banh mi with proper vietnamese-sytle baguette bread, but even better are the prepared takeaway meals (various plastic wrapped goodies that sit on the counter at room temperature meant to be heat up later at home, and usually sold out by lunchtime). A particular highlight are the various banh preparations, most of which do not show up on viet restaurants menus in NYC. Favorites as banh it (round glutinous rice flour dumpling filled with mung beans, dried shrimp, and miced pork), banh bot loc (crescent shaped tapioca dumpling filled with fresh shrimp and wood ear mushrooms), and banh beo (steamed disks of fresh rice flour with shredded dried shrimp and mung bean topping).

Ba Xuyen

4222 8th Ave.

btw. 42nd and 43rd St.

Brooklyn

(718) 633-6601

• 2 months later...

A few of us did some Sunset Park exploration. I left the note-taking to the more responsible member of our party and will post more next week but in the meantime, I do want to note La Fe Grocery which porkwah posted about. It is on Fifth Avenue around 55th or 56th street. Unfortunately it was the last stop on our tour and we were really full but it was far and away the best place we tried. We got carnitas tacos and a huitlacoche empanada. I still don't get huitlacoche but if you like it, I guess this one will make you happy. The carnitas were very, very good, though I'd like them to be crispier. I'll be back.

Here's a picture of me there:

lafelc4.jpg

• 2 months later...

Went back to La Fe last weekend and had an excellent, excellent huarache and some very credibly nice pozole.

The kitchen is small and open -- I watched them cook awhile. Unhurried and mindful. Very much liked the vibe there.

Best mexican I've had in quite a while. Wish it was closer.

Is there any good eating a short walk from the D subway stop on 9th Ave. and 39th Street in Brooklyn?

I'm afraid I do mean "short walk." This is for a food-loving friend who just doesn't have the stamina for a long walk.

Otherwise I'll tell her to try something Latin on 5th Ave. near the previous subway stop, the N/R/M/D at 4th Ave. and 36th Street.

• 1 year later...

I haven't been over this way in a while, so I thought I'd stroll around on Saturday morning and find something to eat.

As I should have expected, the weather was brutal to the point of killing any appetite, and made even the thought of sitting near a hot kitchen over a plate of Mexican or Chinese food quite aversive.

Ended up sitting in Feeny's, drinking ice-cold Bud for lunch.

I haven't been over this way in a while, so I thought I'd stroll around on Saturday morning and find something to eat.

As I should have expected, the weather was brutal to the point of killing any appetite, and made even the thought of sitting near a hot kitchen over a plate of Mexican or Chinese food quite aversive.

A few blocks east and you could have had this.

A few blocks east and you could have had this.

And you would have had the added thrill of seeing us there. We were just double-checking to see if the sandwich that we liked so much a week earlier would be as just good. It really was. #8, grilled pork, asked for it spicy and this time it (really) was. Perfect.

But it was so damned hot. Lex and I were daunted by the traffic on the LIE and changed our outdoor plans in favor of sipping the afternoon away over the Yankees game at Muggs Ale House. It was as pleasant an afternoon as we've had recently and beat the heck out of our original plan.

But it was so damned hot. Lex and I were daunted by the traffic on the LIE and changed our outdoor plans in favor of sipping the afternoon away over the Yankees game at Muggs Ale House. It was as pleasant an afternoon as we've had recently and beat the heck out of our original plan.

Great minds.

• 1 month later...

Tacos Matamoros (5th Avenue between 45th and 46th Streets) has some fine food. Went there on a meetup hosted by Eating in Translation and we had a gut-busting prix fixe arranged for us: chorizo tacos with green & red salsa and pickled peppers; ceviche tostadas (ceviche was in a light tomato sauce); red, green and mole chicken tamales; the silkiest refried beans I've ever had, topped with grated cheese & served with creamy yellow rice; chicken in a very spicy tomatoey sauce; and the piece de resistance, barbacoa cabrito. I have no idea what the regular menu is like, but I've heard that the tacos are good and cheap ($1.50 each).

I was very happy to see that the panaderia across the street, which I went to 2 years ago, is still there. Two fresh-out-of-the-oven buns were $1.75.

• 9 months later...
I'm looking for Mexican in Sunset Park and Tacos Matamoros looks really good but I thought I'd check to see if there are any other must eat places.

I've had meh food there (ie not better than random-place-on-the-street) but i don't have recommendations for any great place. I'm not sure there is one.

Here's a google map with someone's recommendations: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=su...ge&resnum=1.

Sometimes we eat at La Flor de Piaxtla (I think that is the place) which is on the google map. It's fine.

FWIW a pretty lame tacqueria (called Oaxaca) just opened on Smith Street in Cobble Hill / Carroll Gardens. No real reason to bother with it. Near you there's also the deli tacqueria on E 2nd (?) -- fantasty knows this one.

• 1 year later...

Tacos Matamoros (5th Avenue between 45th and 46th Streets) has some fine food. Went there on a meetup hosted by Eating in Translation and we had a gut-busting prix fixe arranged for us: chorizo tacos with green & red salsa and pickled peppers; ceviche tostadas (ceviche was in a light tomato sauce); red, green and mole chicken tamales; the silkiest refried beans I've ever had, topped with grated cheese & served with creamy yellow rice; chicken in a very spicy tomatoey sauce; and the piece de resistance, barbacoa cabrito. I have no idea what the regular menu is like, but I've heard that the tacos are good and cheap ($1.50 each).

I was very happy to see that the panaderia across the street, which I went to 2 years ago, is still there. Two fresh-out-of-the-oven buns were $1.75.

Finally got the name of the panaderia: Mi Mexico Pequeno II. Still very good, still cheap. A bun with cinnamon sugar inside and regular sugar outside made a nice end to a day of walking around Green-Wood Cemetery (with a detour to Ba Xuyen, as N had never had a banh mi).