Frog Club

The Flon

• 3 weeks later...

If you wish for an of-the-moment drink, there’s the pricey Dirty Kermit, $26, featured with a trademark symbol on the drinks list. This is no dirty martini, but Frog Club’s play on a Bloody Mary: It’s green with chunky green tomatoes, and an olive garnish made to look like the Muppet’s eyes.

🧐

But as a restaurant — rather than as a clubhouse or a thing to brag about — I didn’t find much to recommend Frog Club.

pre-shucked oysters in shot glasses with a too-vinegary beet mignonette; a saddish burger on a too-plush bun served with a little cup of whipped butter, if you’re feeling suicidal. I might not have minded the lobster pierogis — a kind of upcharged crab rangoon — if they had tasted more of lobster and less of their creamy filling, but even more than that, I couldn’t quite make out where they fit into the mix. “We call it the new nostalgia,” said our waiter, natty in his white jacket and green tie, when we asked what brought the restaurant’s offerings together. Aha! A faint suggestion of Houlihan’s.

This may be in Matthew Schneier's review, if it gets published.

I can't wait to never go to this restaurant.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MitchW said:

This may be in Matthew Schneier's review, if it gets published.

I can't wait to never go to this restaurant.  

It was published this morning on Grub Street. (I received it yesterday via email.)

• 2 weeks later...

5.9 from The Infatuation.

"With so many regulations, it’s fair to expect a memorable meal. You’ll get one, but for the wrong reasons. Emaciated chicken wings leave you picking at bones that look as if they were donated by sparrows, and shrimp scampi arrives with a small pyramid of rice that tastes like it came out of a box. Not to be outdone, a $27 spinach soufflé quickly deflates into a gummy frittata the color of a shrink-wrapped pistachio muffin, and a green pepper dip sports six melancholy baby carrots."