The Yankees Thread

In the end, I messed up by about three minutes. I had been discussing important business affairs in a bar without a TV on one side of the street, judged that the game might be starting, crossed the street to the bar with a TV, and entered just as the applause faded. It was a dramatic enough entrance, of course, because I stepped through the door, looked at the TV, shouted fuck and slammed my umbrella on the floor.

Oh well.

I trust that for one, fleeting moment you thought they were cheering your entrance.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

Can anyone parse this comment in the Times?

Gehrig was far more prolific as a run producer, but Jeter matched his hit total Wednesday in just 64 fewer plate appearances.

Apart from the sheer oddness (just 64 fewer? how many fewer should it be?), as far as I can see Jeter had several hundred more at-bats than Gehrig, while playing exactly 44 fewer games. So what on earth does the sentence mean, if anything?

Plate appearances include walks. Gehrig, being a home run hitter, got walked more; hence, fewer official at-bats (which doesn't include walks)

• 2 weeks later...
A Bronx celebration for the Red Sox, who trail the Yankees by 5 1/2 games in the AL East but lead the Rangers by eight in the Wild Card standings?

“Oh, we will … hopefully,” said slugger David Ortiz. “So [then] we don’t have to get our clubhouse dirty.”

The Sox could be the first team to have a champagne celebration at the new Yankee Stadium.

fuck-you.jpg

Keeping track of the Yankees, they gave the good fight but unfortunately lost yesterday to those Red Sox 16-11. Tough luck having to play the Red Sox when they are in a 9 game winning streak.

Aahhh, the annual April Sweep was a good one, capped of course by Jacoby "The Blur" Ellsbury's theft-of-the-century. If Pettitte and Posada take any more naps on the field, those home town prices are going to have to be slashed again!

Please report to the NFL thread where we discuss Boston sports fans. I think we need examples for Mongo.

ETA - Trash talking in April. Ah well stereotypes exist for a reason.

ahem

Seeing Bruney warming up for that last innings has aged me.

You'll like this. Remember Fucking Dougie?

My friend George, who shared season tickets with me, called me up.

"You won't believe this. You know those replacement teams? Dougie signed on with one of them. He said 'I still feel like I have something left to give.' "

Here's Bruney in the Daily News:

Bruney's inclusion on the postseason roster largely depends on whether Joe Girardi decides to take 10 or 11 relievers in the AL division series, and whether one of those is Damaso Marte as a second lefty. "I believe Brian Bruney has a lot of talent ... and he's definitely in the mix," Girardi said.

"I feel confident every time I go out there, especially lately," said Bruney, whose ERA is down to 4.17. "I think everyone understands what I can bring to the team. I think I can help."