The Yankees Thread

Should be a good playoff series & hopefully a good outcome. Joe Nathan is a Stony Brook alumni (so am I, undergrad) who just donated an entire athletic complex. Hard to root against.

But I'll manage.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

My blood pressure is grateful that Bruney is omitted from the post season roster.

And now, starring in the role of Brian Bruney, ... Joba Chamberlain.

Nah. I don't see it.

By the way, I think I forgot to menion that Bruney was the winning pitcher in a game a week or so back. Poetry: the losing pitcher was Kyle Farnsworth.

HUGE MISTAKE that I hope will not come back to haunt them.

I mentioned upstream I thought Molina would catch Burnett the rest of the way (to improve his confidence) and he did. I also mentioned that come playoffs (with his confidence re-built), Posada would catch him. Now Girardi has made two errors - first he's allowing Molina to catch him in the playoffs, thus taking Posada's bat out of the lineup (can't use him as a DH unless you want to lose Matsui).

Then the mistake is compouded by making Burnett pitch game two (Pettitte is still the best money pitcher on the team). At least if he was the game 3 pitcher, Posada would be lost for one game. Now if the series goes five, he's lost for two games.

Not good strategy and it becomes worse if the Yanks move on to the next round. Someone is sleeping at the wheel - or calling the shots for Girardi.

Counter-arguments: Pettitte has pitched much better on the road. As Burnett's confidence is not his strongest point, why give him the impression he's not one of the two aces any more? Unless seven very hot bats suddenly go cold, Posada's contribution is dispensable. Of course, you may be right - just putting the other viewpoint.

My only gripe last night was sending in Rivera to defend a five run lead. What a waste of his energy, and he's never at his best in those situations. Otherwise, a great night. The most valuable thing I saw was evidence that A-Rod's personality transplant is carrying over into the post season. His objective now seems to be to help win games, rather than appease the crowd and help his brand by looking for the next home run, and that makes him an incredible asset at last.

HUGE MISTAKE that I hope will not come back to haunt them.

I mentioned upstream I thought Molina would catch Burnett the rest of the way (to improve his confidence) and he did. I also mentioned that come playoffs (with his confidence re-built), Posada would catch him. Now Girardi has made two errors - first he's allowing Molina to catch him in the playoffs, thus taking Posada's bat out of the lineup (can't use him as a DH unless you want to lose Matsui).

Then the mistake is compouded by making Burnett pitch game two (Pettitte is still the best money pitcher on the team). At least if he was the game 3 pitcher, Posada would be lost for one game. Now if the series goes five, he's lost for two games.

Not good strategy and it becomes worse if the Yanks move on to the next round. Someone is sleeping at the wheel - or calling the shots for Girardi.

I don't agree with Posada having to catch Burnett. How important are his two or potentially 3 at bats. He can be brought in the last 2 or 3 innings if necessary. Posada is a below average catcher, balls bounce off him and go by him. Runners steal on him. If the Yankees play the Angels I would start Molina every game. These games are typically tight and Posada is capable of allowing an extra run in each game. I obviously like his offense better than Molina but I love Molina's defense.

Counter-arguments: Pettitte has pitched much better on the road. As Burnett's confidence is not his strongest point, why give him the impression he's not one of the two aces any more? Unless seven very hot bats suddenly go cold, Posada's contribution is dispensable. Of course, you may be right - just putting the other viewpoint.

My only gripe last night was sending in Rivera to defend a five run lead. What a waste of his energy, and he's never at his best in those situations. Otherwise, a great night. The most valuable thing I saw was evidence that A-Rod's personality transplant is carrying over into the post season. His objective now seems to be to help win games, rather than appease the crowd and help his brand by looking for the next home run, and that makes him an incredible asset at last.

Couldn't agree more on Rivera. Why on earth would you make him throw 20+ pitches for absolutely no reason?

I don't agree with Posada having to catch Burnett. How important are his two or potentially 3 at bats. He can be brought in the last 2 or 3 innings if necessary. Posada is a below average catcher, balls bounce off him and go by him. Runners steal on him. If the Yankees play the Angels I would start Molina every game. These games are typically tight and Posada is capable of allowing an extra run in each game. I obviously like his offense better than Molina but I love Molina's defense.

He didn't help himself by having a poor game last night as catcher. Better to keep the mouth shut sometimes.

1. Rivera had to pitch - he hadn't since Sunday, they are off today. Which means he would have had five full days without pitching - not good for a closer. He would have pitched the last inning if the score was 1-0 or 21-0; and even if they were losing. In fact, don't be surprised to see him pitch Friday regardless of the score since they are off again Saturday.

2. Both passed balls were caused by missed signals. Sabathia crossed Posada up on one. And Posada changed the sign sequence without telling Sabathia on the other.

3. While Molina is better defensively, Posada is far from a liability and calls a better game. He is an above-average defensive catcher. To say the Yankees won't miss his bat is risky. He's a switch hitter with power from both sides. He is a proven clutch hitter who has experience. His running and strikeout ratio are his offensive shortfalls. Suggesting he not play if the Yanks play the Angels is unfair to him. He brings too much to the team and the difference in throwing out runners vs. Molina isn't enough to warrant his benching.

1. Rivera had to pitch - he hadn't since Sunday, they are off today. Which means he would have had five full days without pitching - not good for a closer. He would have pitched the last inning if the score was 1-0 or 21-0; and even if they were losing. In fact, don't be surprised to see him pitch Friday regardless of the score since they are off again Saturday.

2. Both passed balls were caused by missed signals. Sabathia crossed Posada up on one. And Posada changed the sign sequence without telling Sabathia on the other.

3. While Molina is better defensively, Posada is far from a liability and calls a better game. He is an above-average defensive catcher. To say the Yankees won't miss his bat is risky. He's a switch hitter with power from both sides. He is a proven clutch hitter who has experience. His running and strikeout ratio are his offensive shortfalls. Suggesting he not play if the Yanks play the Angels is unfair to him. He brings too much to the team and the difference in throwing out runners vs. Molina isn't enough to warrant his benching.

The reason for passed balls is irrelevant. Posada has to be sure his catchers know what is going on and he has to react. His pursuit of the ball when Maur scored was a little weak. I'm not suggesting that Posada sit for any serious amount of time. But I am suggesting if the difference between the Yankees winning and losing is 3 abs from Posada then something is wrong. In yesterdays game his contribution would have been -1 run. I have a strong bias toward defense. I have seen Molina stop teams from running. Not the case with Posada though he is a lot better than Varitek.

I do agree on Rivera needing to pitch. Ideally the inning would have gone a bit smoother. I think Girardi deserves credit for handling the bullpen. Unlike with Mr. Torre the pitchers arms are still attached to their shoulders.

reason for passed balls is irrelevant. Posada has to be sure his catchers know what is going on and he has to react.

Impossible to react to a 95mph fastball when you're expecting an 80mph curve that breaks down and away - and vice versa. It's just not physically possible.

1st paragraph - I agree. You are exactly correct.

2nd paragraph - I disagree on your Rivera point. Rich is correct on him needing to throw. On the A-Rod front, I agree and can almost like him. If only he didnt carry himself with such dramatic seriousness and self importance. I dont know what Jeter said to him in the field late in the game, but it was the first time I've seen A-Rod smile and have a relaxed moment with Jeter that wasnt after he hit a home run.

1st paragraph - I agree. You are exactly correct.

2nd paragraph - I disagree on your Rivera point. Rich is correct on him needing to throw. On the A-Rod front, I agree and can almost like him. If only he didnt carry himself with such dramatic seriousness and self importance. I dont know what Jeter said to him in the field late in the game, but it was the first time I've seen A-Rod smile and have a relaxed moment with Jeter that wasnt after he hit a home run.

Pettitte pitched better on the road in the first half because he became "bat-shy" due the home runs at the new Yankee Stadium. The second half was much better at home after he adjusted.

Burnett has never pitched in the post-season and has streaks of severe wildness from the stretch. Pettitte is arguably the best money-ball pitcher in the game today. So here's the question. If it gets to Game 5, what battery would you want? Burnett with Molina catching and unfortunately hitting or Pettitte with Posada catching and hitting from both sides of the plate if necessary.

And let's not forget, Pettitte's move to first thwarts stealing more than the arms of Molina and Posada combined.

I would never have thought it possible that Joe Nathan could strongly resemble Armando Benitez. But there you are.

Anyone else have an opinion on the home-plate umpire's ever-changing strike zone?

Or how the other ump could miss that down the line not so foul ball into left field? I guess we'll take it.

On the positive side, Tex, Swisher and A-Rod (and, as usual, Jeter).

Bottom line... the Twins let us stay in the game long enough to eventually beat them. They should have been able to wrap it up early by scoring big and chase AJ from the game. Instead, he kept his concentration without pitching well and let the rest of the team (& the Twins) get him thru.

Great game to watch.