The Yankees Thread

One image to remember: after A-Rod's home run, he and Jeter hanging over the dugout fence together, talking intently like old comrades figuring out how to win the game. Unimaginable a year ago. Happy to see Posada pinch-hitting as soon as Burnett is ready to come out: it really minimizes the risk of this strategy if we have Posada's bat for the late innings.

Burnett's a strange case. When the wheels start to come off, he doesn't just drift out of the strike zone, he starts throwing the ball completely away.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

One image to remember: after A-Rod's home run, he and Jeter hanging over the dugout fence together, talking intently like old comrades figuring out how to win the game. Unimaginable a year ago. Happy to see Posada pinch-hitting as soon as Burnett is ready to come out: it really minimizes the risk of this strategy if we have Posada's bat for the late innings.

Burnett's a strange case. When the wheels start to come off, he doesn't just drift out of the strike zone, he starts throwing the ball completely away.

That was a great one, I noticed the significance of it as well. They are old comrades, just haven't been comradely for a longish stint.

My favorite vignette, the shot of Jeter's reaction to Gardner's stumble and eventual success in racing to third after the pick-off.

Derek Jeter. You know?

"I saw Punto out of the corner of my eye going home."

That was an exceptionally important observation on Jeter's part.

Based on the (incessant) replays, it looked like the Twins coach was trying to stop Punto at third base. If the Twins had players at first and third, with nobody out, that would have changed the complexion of the game entirely.

Punto will have a few months to refine that aspect of his base running.

While I'm a little nervous about the Angels "owning" the Yankees untll that last regular season series, it struck me that the weather might benefit Yankee pitching more than LA pitching in SoCal, and hurt the Angels more than the Yanks in the Bronx.

My biggest worry is Damon is pressing and didn't look good at all.

What managerial mistakes (other than maybe taking Petite out a little early).

You know the Yankees took 2 out three from the Angels in the first series so it was really just that one sweep in CA that was bad this year. I think Joe G. is nervous about all his pitchers losing it quickly. He has the bullpen as a resource and if he wins this game they all have a long rest. He seems to only trust Mariano. I was counting on the Twins leaving Pavano in too long so his pitches would start to get up in the zone and that's what happened.

He does have a lot of people to go to in the bullpen. If he left a starter in too long, with Aceves and Robertson and Coke available as well as Hughes, Chamberlain and Rivera, he'd be criticized for that too. I do agree that he is showing a tendency to go to Rivera too early though.