The Yankees Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

It looks goofier with every replay - Cano being tagged while standing around third base in a daze, and responding by then putting his foot on the base. Although to be fair, he was dealing with an easily confused umpire.

Cano was the only one whose thought process might be reasonable. He was not touching 3rd so that Posada had a bag to run back to. If Posada got there safely due to some error (ball coming out of glove, etc), Cano's not touching 3rd keeps Posada on 3rd and gives Cano a chance to scamper back to 2nd. One in a million but no reason to touch 3rd until its over... he also needed to stay close to 3rd to put foot on bag once Posada is out. Only problem with this logic is that he also stayed close enough to be tagged 1st, which the umpire completely missed seeing/calling. Posada running back to 3rd is reasonable until he is tagged. Slide, damn it... dont over-run it & get tagged.

The umpire was the only complete fool there, missing the fact that both Yankees got tagged while not on any base. Nothing more to know about the situation. Both are out.

The other play at 3rd base (Swisher tagging up too soon) was probably not a missed call, although you'll never get the umps to admit it. It was to erase the score that shouldnt have happened because Swisher was previously out at 2nd when the ump missed that call.

Lucky none of this affected the game much. It did give me a headache though.

The other play at 3rd base (Swisher tagging up too soon) was probably not a missed call, although you'll never get the umps to admit it. It was to erase the score that shouldnt have happened because Swisher was previously out at 2nd when the ump missed that call.

I was thinking the same thing - they were evening things out (although maybe we're giving them too much credit.)

It was interesting that the Angels showed the replays to the stadium crowd on the video screen with the predictable result - the crowd was incensed. At Mets and Yankees games I've attended controversial replays haven't been shown specifically to avoid cranking up the crowd.

It looks goofier with every replay - Cano being tagged while standing around third base in a daze, and responding by then putting his foot on the base. Although to be fair, he was dealing with an easily confused umpire.

Cano was the only one whose thought process might be reasonable. He was not touching 3rd so that Posada had a bag to run back to. If Posada got there safely due to some error (ball coming out of glove, etc), Cano's not touching 3rd keeps Posada on 3rd and gives Cano a chance to scamper back to 2nd. One in a million but no reason to touch 3rd until its over... he also needed to stay close to 3rd to put foot on bag once Posada is out. Only problem with this logic is that he also stayed close enough to be tagged 1st, which the umpire completely missed seeing/calling. Posada running back to 3rd is reasonable until he is tagged. Slide, damn it... dont over-run it & get tagged.

The umpire was the only complete fool there, missing the fact that both Yankees got tagged while not on any base. Nothing more to know about the situation. Both are out.

I wonder if that call was also "payback" for the previous game's call at 2nd base. The "neighborhood" play was called safe, rather than the customary out. I'm sure the umps discussed that one, post game. The Angels were outraged, as I recall.

Cano was the only one whose thought process might be reasonable.

I like your analysis, but am less confident that anything as subtle was passing through Cano's head. :lol:

Absolutely - the umpire who made that call didn't even look at Swisher. He gave him out because he should have been out already. I don't like that - these things will even themselves out without umpires meddling.

So, why not start the 7th with Hughes? Or at least pull AJ after he gave up a hit to the first batter? I guess Joe's just trying to make this interesting.

ETA - Well, never mind. Maybe Mo could have gone 3 tonight :)

I wasn't planning on Hughes' Bull Durham moment. Shaking off Posada three times in order to throw a high fast ball to...Guerrero? :blink:

"He hasn't seen my heat." I can only hope Posada didn't whisper to Guerrero "Fast ball, high."

bull-durham-560x330.jpg

And Johnny Damon was safe at first. :angry:

I hope this doesn't get into their heads, but that makes five straight losses in pennant clinching games and four where they had the lead in the seventh inning.

They have the best money-ball pitcher going Saturday, but Saunders is just as formidable. If Pettitte can't get the ball directly to Mariano, there will be concerns in the dugout.

I wasn't planning on Hughes' Bull Durham moment. Shaking off Posada three times in order to throw a high fast ball to...Guerrero? :blink:

I was just reading an interview with the legendary St. Louis Cardinal Bob Gibson, where he revealed that he used to shake off signs multiple times just to psych batters out. He didn't actually have enough pitches to justify all the shakeoffs. Once they realized it worked, he & Tim McCarver developed a specific sign that only meant "shake me off."

I was hoping desperately that that was what they were doing last night as I watched, because I had a bad feeling about the pitch to come.

I was just reading an interview with the legendary St. Louis Cardinal Bob Gibson, where he revealed that he used to shake off signs multiple times just to psych batters out. He didn't actually have enough pitches to justify all the shakeoffs. Once they realized it worked, he & Tim McCarver developed a specific sign that only meant "shake me off."

I was hoping desperately that that was what they were doing last night as I watched, because I had a bad feeling about the pitch to come.

Hughes only has two pitches, Mariano one, Chamberlain none at this point.

There can't be a "whole lot-o-shakin going on."

Seriously, if the Yanks blow this, it will be seven straight pennant clinching losses in a row. It will set a new mark in futility and label them as the biggest choke artists in MLB history.

It will also cost Girardi, Damon and Matsui their jobs. It may force Cashman into a more submissive role.

But they have no one to blame but themselves. The un-reported item that woke the Angels up last night was the Yankees deciding to place World Series tickets on sale after they went up 3-1. The story was posted all over the Angel locker room and in each players' locker. They were removed prior to allowing press access. Could have been the single-most ridiculous move by the team since they fired Berra after just 10 games in 1985.