The Yankees Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

I find myself in the odd position of rooting for the Yankees. The Angels just don't enthuse me at all. And the Yanks have so much more drama that could be stretched out over a 6-7 game Series.

Well, if it goes seven in the ALCS, the winner will be at a huge disadvantage vs. the Phils because of pitching. The Yanks wouldn't be able to start Sabathia until Game 3 and the Angels would be in difficulty as well.

And if the game is postponed tomorrow night (50/50 at this point) and they play Sunday & Monday, that means neither Pettitte or Sabathia can go until games 3 and 4. I guess Gaudin would start Game 2 and that could get ugly in a hurry. The Angels would probably bring back Lackey on three days rest and lose him until Game 3 of the Series. They would probably need to use Kazmir and Santana (depending on how much they use Weaver in relief) in Games 1/2 and that could get just as ugly.

Either way a big advantage to Phils.

Yes, they are in fact in the lead and favorites to win - although of course they might not. I understand the media's need to dig up the past in order to find things to talk about, but it isn't the 2004 Yankees taking the field tonight.

As I see it, last night's game and win were hugely important for two reasons:

1. The starting pitching will now be set up properly

2. Hopefully Joba's short outing last night gave him some confidence and will allow him to be dominant in the WS. I like the Yanks against the Phils, but the current state of the bullpen is troubling to say the least.

I think it's still the best bullpen the Yankees have had in a very long time. That Girardi seems strangely reluctant to use Robertson is not the bullpen's fault.

With all the talk of Rodriguez and Sabathia and the four veterans, it's easy to overlook Melky's quietly outstanding series. He's second to Rodriguez - ahead of Cano - for average and OBP in the series. And this is someone who wasn't even sure of being an everyday player for the first part of the season.

I liked the way Jeter stuck it to Ken Rosenthal on live TV for going negative at the start of the post-game interview. :)

And after that he still gave the professional, courteous interview that was expected of him at that point. A class act.

Even though they're looking to repeat as World Series winners people have been taking the Phillies lightly all year long. They shouldn't. This is a mentally tough team with a knack for hitting in the clutch. This isn't going to be an easy Series but it's likely to be an entertaining one.

I liked the way Jeter stuck it to Ken Rosenthal on live TV for going negative at the start of the post-game interview. :)

And after that he still gave the professional, courteous interview that was expected of him at that point. A class act.

Rosenthal's most recent assault on the highest peaks of annoyingness can be viewed here - after a Geico ad.

Still cannot figure out why Kate Hudson didn't seem to be in the running for MVP.

We were at the game last night. Sat in the bleachers for the first time since game 1 of the 1999 ALCS. It was a rather pleasant experience - thankfully no assholes, mostly other holders of partial season ticket plans. There's a great interplay between the fans and Damon - especially when he came out to play LF at the top of the 5th. Everyone was cheering wildly and he turned around a give a slight salute with his cap.

Has anyone figured out why Girardi brought Rivera in to pitch two innings? Why isn't he using Robertson? Fortunately the move worked, but it made me queasy. Particularly because Anaheim scored that run in the 8th.