The Yankees Thread

The one biggest mystery to me about Girardi's decisions in the post season has been this reluctance to use Robertson. I don't get it. I certainly don't know why you would send Chamberlain into the game ahead of Robertson.

Strange to read stories today about Yankee bullpen "problems". A few weeks ago, everyone was raving about the bullpen Girardi had developed. It's still the same bullpen. Hughes made a stupid pitch to Guerrero. Chamberlain was asked to adjust from being a starter to a reliever almost overnight. But I haven't seen any disastrous performance yet from Robertson or Aceves, let alone Rivera. Gaudin did fine.

Anyone remember what Proctor, Farnsworth, Bruney was like?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

Has anyone figured out why Girardi brought Rivera in to pitch two innings?

It was the best move Girardi made in the series. Mariano is capable of pitching two innings. They had the lead, they needed six outs. It was a no-brainer in my opinion. The run he gave up in the 8th was cheap - a bloop and a grounder. It happens, but if I need six outs to get my ticket punched for the World Series, Mariano is in there for every one of them.

If I'm going down, I'm going down with my best - and then tip my hat to the team that beat him.

If I'm going down, I'm going down with my best - and then tip my hat to the team that beat him.

We'll see if you have to tip your hat to the Phillies.

He's human and can be beat (as happened in Arizona, 2001), but is there anyone else someone would pick to close a game?

Of course he's the choice to close the game, but I remain puzzled that Girardi doesn't seem to think anyone in that bullpen can provide a bridge to the ninth inning, or at least the last four outs.

Much talk this morning about the Phillies starting Pedro Martinez in game 2 in the Bronx. Gets my vote. ;)

Less plausible talk about abandoning the plan to have Sabathia pitch games 1, 4 and 7, and use him out of the bullpen as the leftie receiver when he isn't starting. The theory is that if you do that you don't need a game 7. I am not placing any money on that happening.

Of course he's the choice to close the game, but I remain puzzled that Girardi doesn't seem to think anyone in that bullpen can provide a bridge to the ninth inning, or at least the last four outs.

It's not that he doesn't THINK anyone else can, it's that he KNOWS what his best chance is. And in that situation a manager MUST take his best shot.

It's not that he doesn't THINK anyone else can, it's that he KNOWS what his best chance is. And in that situation a manager MUST take his best shot.

Tim McCarver said pretty much the same thing as it was happening. From the POV of closing down the Angels & grabbing the pennant right then & there, it made sense.

Girardi's juggling of relievers in earlier games sometimes baffled me.

Girardi's juggling of relievers in earlier games sometimes baffled me.

Absolutely - even in Game 6, the removing of Pettitte for a shaky Chamberlain after a bloop single was quite disconcerting. But he got away with it.

The question is simply whether his best shot was to have Mariano get all six outs rather than, say, the last four. I mean, I don't think anyone would argue Mariano should have pitched the last three innings, just because he's the best in the game; so I think it's a reasonable question. I am sure Girardi had the stats at his fingertips.

The question is simply whether his best shot was to have Mariano get all six outs rather than, say, the last four. I mean, I don't think anyone would argue Mariano should have pitched the last three innings, just because he's the best in the game; so I think it's a reasonable question. I am sure Girardi had the stats at his fingertips.

Mariano can go two, asking for three is a stretch. His limit for any game would be 35-40 pitches because of his conditioning. He averages about 15.6 pitches per inning. He threw 34 Sunday night.

Goose Gossage, the Yankees' Mariano Rivera of the early 1980s, used to pitch 2 innings regularly. His arm didn't fall off. Rivera has shown that he can do it too.