The Yankees Thread

Pedro confirmed for game 2 in the Bronx. I just think this makes it more likely the Yankees will take the first two, so I don't know what the Phillies are thinking.

Yankees in five?

Bite your tongue.

And, throw some salt over your shoulder for good measure.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

• 1 month later...
So Curtis Granderson is coming from Detroit. Now that Kennedy, Coke, and Bruney are gone, I hope they deal for some relievers (and maybe a starter or two if they let Wang go).

The Fox sports people suggested this morning that this means both Hideki and Damon just had their contract discussions complicated. With Cabrera moving into left field, and several people being considered for DH, it's a game of musical chairs for expensive people

• 2 weeks later...
Javier Vasquez back again? And Melky gone in exchange? :huh:

It's a strange trade considering Vasquez is an NL pitcher, but Melky became expendable with the acquisition of Granderson. He just doesn't have the offensive chops to be a corner outfielder and they have Gardner as the 4th outfielder.

It's possible the Yankees will sign Nady to an incentive-laden contract. They have always liked him and he's a very good player. He just needs to remain healthy.

Last time Vasquez came to NY, he was considered a 1 or 2 guy. Now he's strictly #4 - it's a role in which he may be able to thrive.

Here's the projected lineup (in my view):

Jeter

Johnson

Texiera

Rodriquez

Granderson

Posada

Cano

Nady

Swisher

Backups:

Gardner

Cervelli

Pena

other spots open, but look for Hoffman to make team

Rotation:

Sabathia

Burnett

Pettitte

Vasquez

Hughes

7th inning - Marte/Robertson

8th inning - Chamberlain

9th inning - I'm sure they'll get someone

swing men - Aceves & Gaudin

One must assume they're expecting Nady to be an everyday player in 2010. How about comparing Melky with Swisher, though? Swisher got the everyday slot last season only because of Nady's injury - he was picked up for security at first base before the Texeira deal was concluded. He gave us a better season than anyone expected, but was at sea in the post-season and ultimately benched. Melky had an extraordinary ALCS series, and although his world series was less impressive, he didn't look as outmatched by the pitching as Swisher. Melky is 25, Swisher 29 - if either of them is going to improve next year, it's Melky.

Is it really a question of Melky being unable to play right field? (Of course, the answer may be that Vasquez is the best we can do as far as starters are concerned, and this was the trade we had to make.)

One must assume they're expecting Nady to be an everyday player in 2010. How about comparing Melky with Swisher, though? Swisher got the everyday slot last season only because of Nady's injury - he was picked up for security at first base before the Texeira deal was concluded. He gave us a better season than anyone expected, but was at sea in the post-season and ultimately benched. Melky had an extraordinary ALCS series, and although his world series was less impressive, he didn't look as outmatched by the pitching as Swisher. Melky is 25, Swisher 29 - if either of them is going to improve next year, it's Melky.

Is it really a question of Melky being unable to play right field? (Of course, the answer may be that Vasquez is the best we can do as far as starters are concerned, and this was the trade we had to make.)

Let's just focus on your last sentence since that's the crux of it, in my opinion. You can indeed compare Melky to Swisher.... and Melky comes up better. Which, of course, is why he went for Vasquez. Can you picture them trading Vasquez for Swisher? The Yankees (finally, I hope) will put Chamberlain back where he belongs and really needed a 3-4 starter. The only aspect of Rich's post I might disagree with is that Petitte might just be #2 and Burkett might not stop his slide at #3 if Vasquez is as good as some think.