The Yankees Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

They keep Swisher for what he brings to the clubhouse, I think.

I can bring stuff to the clubhouse. <_<

But I think you'd blanch at being called "Swish-a-licious".

He's heard it before.

I would pay to be called... well, anything like that really.

I am also available to fill the bullpen slot left open by Brian Bruney. I can preen on the mound, bad mouth pitchers on other teams, and load the bases. Other qualifications?

If Nady had Tommy John surgery last May, he won't be ready until summer.

Possibly earlier - non-pitchers don't take quite as long.

It's his second one on that arm, I heard that the success rates were lower the second time around (might be a different ligament).

• 5 weeks later...

A huge saving for the Yankees, buying a year of Randy Wynn for $2m instead of two years of Johnny Damon for $14m (their offer) or $20m (his).

I can't see that Winn is any way comparable to Damon as a player, and he's only a few months younger; but then again, $2 isn't $20m. Clearly Winn is a stop-gap, but it's not customary Yankee strategy deliberately to take a year off from winning everything.

Has Scott Boras really served his client well? Will Damon end up somewhere he wants to be, for anything close to the Yankees' offer?

A huge saving for the Yankees, buying a year of Randy Wynn for $2m instead of two years of Johnny Damon for $14m (their offer) or $20m (his).

I can't see that Winn is any way comparable to Damon as a player, and he's only a few months younger; but then again, $2 isn't $20m. Clearly Winn is a stop-gap, but it's not customary Yankee strategy deliberately to take a year off from winning everything.

Has Scott Boras really served his client well? Will Damon end up somewhere he wants to be, for anything close to the Yankees' offer?

Okay, let's let our imaginations run wild here. $2mil on Wynn, Damon goes. Boras tries his best and gets only a comparable $14mil offer elsewhere. The Yankees match it for $14 and wind up with a $16mil package of Damon (they would have had to go up a couple of mil anyway in negotiations against $20mil) and Wynn.

The $2mil on Wynn isnt enough to dissuade them from getting anyone else either between now and later. I dont think their contract with him guaranteed starting position. Just thinking outside the box. A couple of months and a dream.

No, I was thinking much the same thing in an idle moment today. Wily Brian Cashman is calling the Boras bluff, Winn will be on the books as a utility outfielder (just like they planned to carry Swisher before Nady got injured), and there's still space for a cheaper Damon. The counter-argument I've seen is that a humiliated Damon taking a big pay cut isn't such an attractive option.

But right now, the starting outfield is about as lacklustre as I can remember (I know some of you guys have longer memories).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hip hip...Jorge.

First of the season. :) And there's the second from Granderson.

I hope Varitek and Lowell have brought along some knitting, or perhaps a good book.

I assume that you continued watching? I turned away at 5-1, came back at 5-5, left and came back at 7-5....

Just found out on my way to work that they lost. Wish they hadnt but I love games like that between these 2 teams.