The Yankees Thread

Had to post that in the Yankee thread huh? Why? Get your own losing thread.

But really… I love articles like that. Of course, a good fan can always backseat drive a game and find more than enough decisions that, had they been made differently might have made all the difference. None can be taken seriously of course, but it's fun to do. Leyland's managerial decisions cost his team as much as Mattingly's and he's now gone… let's see how Donnie fares.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what a comeback game that was yesterday! Great cheers for the Boomer; great bottom of the ninth (!), two out comeback; and then the exciting finish in the 12th. It's a thrill to tune in whenever

I love Jeter's leather this time of year.

I have heard Yankees fans, conscious of the team's pitching deficiencies, say that the Cardinals will go all the way this year.

Had to post that in the Yankee thread huh? Why? Get your own losing thread.

But really… I love articles like that. Of course, a good fan can always backseat drive a game and find more than enough decisions that, had they been made differently might have made all the difference. None can be taken seriously of course, but it's fun to do. Leyland's managerial decisions cost his team as much as Mattingly's and he's now gone… let's see how Donnie fares.

Birds of a feather?

• 1 month later...

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the results to change.

I hope I’m wrong but seven years for Jacoby Ellsbury is ridiculous. He seems to play every other season so they are basically paying him $153 million for 3 years. Just sayin…..

I mean look - winning % is the best indicator of "the best team" - we just happen to award championships in the US based on short series. Its fun, I enjoy it - actually I prefer it. But it doesn't necessarily do a great job of identifying who the best team is.

I mean only a yankees fan would think 10 years of playoffs in 12 years while winning the most games in baseball was a mediocrity.

Right, because playoff results aren't given probability function determined by the relative strength of very closely matched teams and, therefore, are nearly random, but can be consistently earned through some strategy that yields a lower winning percentage in the regular season. Perhaps this has to do with finding players who have "clutch" and "hustle" and "hunger".

I mean look - winning % is the best indicator of "the best team" - we just happen to award championships in the US based on short series. Its fun, I enjoy it - actually I prefer it. But it doesn't necessarily do a great job of identifying who the best team is.

The US system is very good at crowning a legitimate champion. Another system, based on a large sample size and regular season winning percentage, would be better at determining the best team. The irony of something like the BCS is that it's probably better at determining the best team than a playoff would be; it's just not very good at creating a legitimate champion.

Wrong question. Do you think there's a strategy that would consistently yield better results in the playoffs than the Yankees have followed? And if so, why aren't they following it?

The Yankees run from 1996 to 2002 was phenominally lucky. It wasn't based on some superior strategy.