I'm thinking of going there in early August and was wondering if anyone had any experience there.

There's a Caribbean/Latin Music festival being held there. It's the first one of what they hope will be an annual event that will compete with the other big ones. They're trying to establish Honduras as a legitimate Caribbean tourist destination, so the festival has a lot of backing. It's very tempting to go. . . .

Hi,

Roatan has been on my list for a long time, and I've done some research which I will share, but unfortunately, no personal recommendations.

The West End is the place to stay. You want to stay away from the areas (or at least I would want to) where the cruise shops dock.

There is a website: www.roatanet.com that has lots of info and links to travel, etc. Taca airlines flies direct between Dallas or Houston and Roatan, no need to stopover on the Honduran mainland.

Way back in 2001 or so a woman wrote (in the NY Times travel section) about her experiences going to Roatan alone, and I was hooked. I just haven't had the chance to make it down there. Maybe that article is still available?

Let me see if I can find my travel folder and dig up any other thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely reply back, but I have to decide sooner. A friend of mine's father owns some condos on the island, so if I go, it'll basically only cost me airfare. Why am I hesitating? :( It's not really what my movie is about, so the conceit of getting footage doesn't work as justification for the cost. But it seems too good a deal to pass up. I'll see when my friend buys his tickets. . . .

You should definitely reply back, but I have to decide sooner. A friend of mine's father owns some condos on the island, so if I go, it'll basically only cost me airfare. Why am I hesitating? :( It's not really what my movie is about, so the conceit of getting footage doesn't work as justification for the cost. But it seems too good a deal to pass up. I'll see when my friend buys his tickets. . . .

I just booked tickets on Orbitz- $593 round trip from Denver. :(

I don't know where you live, but here's what I do know. Taca airlines flies direct from Houston and Miami to Roatan- no stop in the mainland- direct to the island, I've heard going through San Pedro Sula can be hard.

• 5 weeks later...

You should definitely reply back, but I have to decide sooner. A friend of mine's father owns some condos on the island, so if I go, it'll basically only cost me airfare. Why am I hesitating? :blush: It's not really what my movie is about, so the conceit of getting footage doesn't work as justification for the cost. But it seems too good a deal to pass up. I'll see when my friend buys his tickets. . . .

Dude, don't ever admit this to the IRS.

• 1 year later...

WSJ has a nice feature on Roatan in Saturday's paper. Changes are underway...

On this sleepy island off the coast of Honduras, the main tourist drag is a sand road lined with coconut trees and hand-painted signs touting $2 beers. Backpackers in flip-flops and scuba divers still wearing wet suits wander between dive shops, colorful souvenir stalls and fruit stands. Restaurants with thatched roofs are cooled by ceiling fans, and a seafood dinner can be had for $10 -- about the cost of a single cocktail in pricier parts of the Caribbean.

This quaint vibe may soon change. Though most Americans have never heard of Roatán, the place is well on its way to becoming the region's next "it" spot. Cruise companies, airlines and foreign real-estate investors are moving in, bringing new construction projects -- and potentially hundreds of thousands of tourists -- with them.

Royal Caribbean just inked a deal to build a $30 million extension to the island's cruise terminal, while Carnival is spending $50 million on its own port of call, which it says can handle as many as 7,000 passengers daily when it opens in 2009. Following the lead of other Caribbean islands, Roatán will become a duty-free zone next month -- a huge draw for hotel developers. Last winter, Continental launched a nonstop flight from Newark, N.J., cutting a 10-hour-plus trip with several connections to about five hours.

For now, Roatán remains a throwback. There are no major chain hotels. Most resorts have two dozen rooms or fewer, and many are locally owned. Stay on the island more than a few days and you'll probably start to recognize the people huddled around Sundowners beachside bar around 6 p.m., drinking frozen Monkey La Las, a blend of Kahlua, ice cream, coconut cream and usually vodka.

A visit to Roatán requires some flexibility and tolerance for the unexpected. Electricity goes out in spurts, so be prepared to eat by candlelight in restaurants or to sit in the dark until a backup generator kicks on. During the fall wet season, it can rain for days. And malaria medication is advisable, as mosquitoes can carry the disease -- a problem that has long been eradicated almost everywhere else in the Caribbean.

But the scenery is in many ways similar to other Caribbean islands, with white-sand beaches, turquoise water and hammocks strung between palm trees. There are densely forested parts of the island, too, and rolling hills covered in palm and fig trees. At Gumbalimba Park, you can take jungle canopy tours and explore pirate caves.

Undiscovered, still

Just don't get sick there. (see my Guadeloupe thread).

That's for sure!

My dentist participates in a training program in Costa Rica where he instructs aspiring healthcare and dental workers during the winter season. He's a retired dental school professor.

Apparently, that country's government is very committed to expanding the availability and quality of healthcare, as it's a cornerstone of their effort to lure more North American retireees.