Driving music

From an e-mail my sister sent me:

What do you think are the greatest "driving songs" of all time? Songs that make you want to roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair.....and drive too fast. Not your all-time favorite songs -just the ones that you crank in the car -- though they might be the same.

Sis and I, scarily, both came up with American Girl as a contender. Also, Thunder Road, She Talks to Angels, Friday I'm in Love were mentioned.

My sister mentioned this is for a project she is working on, and she does marketing for Mercedes-Benz, so.........

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Dylan "Like A Rolling Stone"

Paul Simon "Graceland"

The Orbital "Halcyon (And On And On)"

The Cure "Friday I'm In Love"

Ween "Roses Are Free"

Bruce Springsteen "Thunder Road"

The Rolling Stones "Sympathy For the Devil"

Led Zeppelin "Over the Hills and Far Away"

Tori Amos "Cornflake Girl" :(

There are hundreds more driving songs.

So many choices, so little time.

When I was a yout cruising, it was any of the uptempo Beach Boys hits, generally car songs. Then, in college, the Animals' We Gotta Get Out Of This Place. Then, Dylan doing Like A Rolling Stone. Then, the Thirteenth Floor Elevators' You're Gonna Miss Me. Then some of the Bruce you mentioned: Thunder Road, Promised Land, etc. Then different Replacements' tracks: Alex Chilton, God Damn Job, Anywhere's Better Than Here, I Won't, Talent Show. Yesterday, it was Russian pop. Today, Betty LaVette's great cover of Armatrading's Down to Zero. Somewhere in the middle of all this, some early Mott the Hoople stuff, e.g., their cover of You Really Got Me. And, of course, some Clash--how loud can I crank London Calling before the speakers blow--and Costello.

Somewhere I have to think somebody's got a great road mix. mongo?

Not to forget: some Lucinda Williams, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, for starters.

Autobahn would be Klaus Nomi.

Driving across town (nyc) would be Wagner's Gotterdammerung

U.S. highway driving what Maurice said plus Neil Young, Byrds, REM, Fountains of Wayne and wide reggae selection.

"london calling" (the album) is the perfect accompaniment to everything, so yes, driving also. rahman's "chhaiya chhaiya" from the "dil se" soundtrack (most recently heard over the credits of "inside man") is also hard to beat. of course it helps if you know the lyrics.

For me, depends entirely upon where I'm driving.... I kinda see it as the sound track for my adventures.

Back east, go for classical. Mixed with some Springsteen as I cruise through New Jersey.

Down south, got to be the blues, or rhythm & blues. Particularly love BBB's Two Steps From The Blues. And Etta's "Stickin' to My Guns." And Aretha Gold. One of the best albums ever produced.

California -- Mamas & Papas, and Beach Boys in very small doses because I don't really like that style of music.

Most of the rest of the west, country music. Waylon and Willie and the boys.

But along the US/Mexico border in Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, I play nothing but Spanish music. Right now, the favorite is Bebe ("Malo, malo, malo eres, no se daña quien se quieres. Tonto, tonto, tonto eres, no te pienses mejor que las mujeres."). And some cd's that my friends memesuze & RG gave me.

And in Lakota/Dakota Sioux country, it's Bryan Akipa, a Dakota flutist, and the wonderful Native American band, Brule. I simply love hearing that music floating over the Black Hills.