Driving music

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, depends entirely upon where I'm driving.... I kinda see it as the sound track for my adventures.

But along the US/Mexico border in Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, I play nothing but Spanish music. Right now, the favorite is Bebe ("Malo, malo, malo eres, no se daña quien se quieres. Tonto, tonto, tonto eres, no te pienses mejor que las mujeres."). And some cd's that my friends memesuze & RG gave me.

For me also, the location can be important. During my last trip to New Mexico the perfect music was Marty Robbins--a collection of gunfigther ballads and trail songs, including El Paso. Dwight Yoakam also seems to fit in long, open drives out west.

Surprisingly, the answer is Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper", although you all missed the obvious runner-up too: "Roadrunner" by The Modern Lovers.

Obvious choices :( :

"Heading out to the Highway" by Judas Priest

"Red Barchetta" by Rush

"I can't Drive 55" by Sammy Hagar

"Running with the Devil" by Van Halen

"Man on the Silver Mountain" by Rainbow

"Highway Star" by Deep Purple

"I'm in Love with my Car" by Queen

"Highway to Hell" by AC/DC

"Cars" by Gary Neuman

"Drive" by The Cars

"Ventura Highway" by America

"Deacon Blues" by Steely Dan

"Crossroads" by Cream (?) (one of the Eric Clapton bands anyway, though the Robert Johnson version is creepier and probably better for dark nights on country roads)

"Going up Around the Bend" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Usually for me it's something fast and loud. I have a couple of mix cds I made. I started listening to Reggaeton in the car, good background music. But the final determinant is traffic. I've learned not to listen to heavy metal during rush hour.

Another vote for "American Girl". (Demme's use of it in "SOTL" was brilliant and simple character assignment).

"Go with the flow" - Queens of the Stone Age

"All My Life" - Foo Fighters

"Pearl Necklace" - ZZ Top ( :( )

"Word Up" Cameo

Sinatra and Jobim

Speaking of obvious, Born To Be Wild.

I'd go for "Magic Carpet Ride" over that one.

I have a treasured memory of my sister and I cruising along singing "Don't Fear the Reaper" at the top of our lungs. Amazing we weren't pulled over.

I spent an 95 degree afternoon tripping at a Baltimore Orioles game with my then boyfriend, then drove home down Greenmount Ave listening to U2's The Joshua Tree at top volume. One block some kids had opened a fire hydrant and we drove through. It was one of the most surreal experiences ever and that CD always takes me back there.

Best heavily stoned driving song:"Kashmir"

Best underwater driving song: "She talks in Stereo" The Cars

Best wound out of your mind driving song: "Teen Spirit" Nirvana/ Blur "Song 2"

Best illicit drug driving song: "Welcome to the Jungle" GNR or Grandmaster Flash "White Lines"

Best lowrider cruising music: "Summer" or "Spill the Wine" War

I thought that driving the Autobahn would be all Kraftwerk -"Fun, fun, fun on the AutoBahn"?

Definitely The Who.

Plus the Stones, and the Boss.

Ella and Sinatra too. Preferably albums involving Nelson Riddle.

Old Billy Joel and Elton John.

Jackson Browne - good one too.

Bonnie Raitt.

Lots of classical. Mostly operas and symphonies. And some concerti.

- Stevie Wonder, "Sir Duke" (a/k/a our wedding recessional)

- Anything by Aretha Franklin, esp. "Freeway of Love."

- Seal's "Let Me Roll." Actually that whole album, Seal IV, is good driving music. It got me across Kansas en route from Vegas to NYC, and I was ready for more by the time I hit the interminable PA Turnpike.

- "Sitting In Limbo" and the rest of "The Harder They Come"

- "Skateaway" by Dire Straits.

- "Revolution" and "Hot Fudge" by Robbie Williams

- "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac

- "By The Way" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

- Chris Whitley's "Big Sky Country" and "Living With The Law" and pretty much anything he ever wrote

- Simple Minds "All The Things She Said"

- "Been Caught Stealing" by Jane's Addiction. The first time I heard that song I was driving myself to a college interview at a school I had no interest in attending. Having the chorus in my head provided some levity for the day.

- A bunch of songs by Sublime, Soul Coughing, STP, Soundgarden, and Foo Fighters but I don't know the names.

S. has car trip sing-a-long junk playlists. Let me see if I can find out what's on them.