I love the actors, the sets, the muck, the story...

And I love HBO ON Demand.

Jane had the best lines in this week's episode.

When asked about her days as a scout riding with Custer, she answers, "Custer was a cunt.'

And this one:

"Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live."

Brilliant.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will watch all the episodes this season but i doubt i will mourn it being the last. there are good lines every once in a while, and i will miss swearengen and farnum, but this show disappeared up its own arse halfway through the first season.

there's just not a whole lot to it other than the pleasure of the language. yes, the old west was dirty, confusing and unromantic--i know, i've seen "mccabe and mrs. miller".

i find some of the performances to be downright ludicrous, especially those of olyphaunt, weigert and boothe. olyphaunt's gone through 2 seasons now like he's auditioning to prove he can do "tightly wound". plus the show lost its amoral edge when swearengen went from being an utter bastard to developing a heart of progressively less dull gold in the middle of season one.

still, i do enjoy the swearing.

I love the show. Really, I can't find much fault with it at all. The dialogue is priceless, the set and costumes are excellent, the characters are actually developed, and the acting is superb. Ian McShane is a badass.

I am so pissed at HBO for not renewing this series.

Thank goodness the Wire comes back in January, another great series.

there's just not a whole lot to it other than the pleasure of the language. yes, the old west was dirty, confusing and unromantic--i know, i've seen "mccabe and mrs. miller".

i find some of the performances to be downright ludicrous, especially those of olyphaunt, weigert and boothe. olyphaunt's gone through 2 seasons now like he's auditioning to prove he can do "tightly wound". plus the show lost its amoral edge when swearengen went from being an utter bastard to developing a heart of progressively less dull gold in the middle of season one.

still, i do enjoy the swearing.

Mongo, the entire point of the series is the development of shared community away from raw individualism and self-interest. Swearengen's character arc is not towards a heart of gold but depicting the inseparability of self-interest from the good of the community as a whole, something that Swearengen understands far ahead of others.

Swearengen: "If we get this thing off the ground, I will be without peer robbin' these f**kers blind. But I don't want the founding document recording a f**king bribe."

oh, i like it enough to watch. don't love it, and won't miss it overmuch--not unless this season is great.

it is much better than "rome". now if the fans of "deadwood" are also fans of "rome" then i will develop a theory.

I love Deadwood. I like the writing, and I think Ian McShane is turning in one of the best performances I have ever seen. It's a much better show than Rome, agreed, but I enjoyed that. All that treachery,intrigue and perversion---what's not to like?

So what's your theory?

don't have one yet.

yes, swearengen and e.b farnum are amazing characters (the latter is now my favourite). and some of the minor characters are great too (merrick, utter, richardson, ellsworth). but far too many of the other characters just grate on me now and the show as a whole seems to be trying to hard to be all the things people like about it.

I thought Rome was okay.

Far better than the mini-series that was on one of the networks around the same time and basically, I'll watch most things about ancient Greece and Rome with some interest.

I would prefer a full fourth season to the two movies but I do want the series to conclude.

Just with, you know, a conclusion.