foodie52

[Austin] Wine Dinner in August

July 30 it is.

Rob wants to know what kind of menu we'd like to do so that he can plan the wines.

Throw out ideas, please. Do we want to do an certain country? Italian? Spanish? Or should we choose dishes we'd enjoy preparing and have him pair the wines?

We need: hors d'oeuvres, salad, entree(s), dessert.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

July 30 it is.

Rob wants to know what kind of menu we'd like to do so that he can plan the wines.

Throw out ideas, please. Do we want to do an certain country? Italian? Spanish? Or should we choose dishes we'd enjoy preparing and have him pair the wines?

We need: hors d'oeuvres, salad, entree(s), dessert.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

I vote that Rob picks us out some wines and suggests types of things to go with. Since it's his party and all, that way he can make sure no one brings things he doesn't like! :)

I'll volunteer for a hors d'oeuvre. Or two. Of course, if I was smart I'd volunteer for a late-course item so that no one would really care what they tasted like at that point!

--K

Just want to let you know that reading this thread has done great things to dispel my foul mood. Except that I won't be there. :) Please, please, please post pictures, menus, recipes, etc. :)

So why don't you come down? Southwest Airlines flies cheap. One of us will put you up.

Come on!!

OK everyone.

Let's figure out how much money we have to buy wine. $20 a person. We have for sure:

Jane and John

Phil (guest?)

David (guest?)

Kristin (does your mom want to come again?)

Susan

Anna ?(plus 1)

I figure we'll have around $140 for sure, and probably a little more. Rob is contributing one wine, maybe more. He is going to source others for us through his contacts. We're in great shape! I'll get together with him and report back on his suggestions.

Count us in too; the 30th works just fine for us! (Sans kids, of course... don't think that would work...)

D

OK: we are now up to the maximum number that Rob wants to host. Otherwise he has to buy another bottle of each wine and our budget does not run to that. 14 people ( if David and Phil bring guests and Red Queen comes).

So I've given him carte blanche: he will think about wine suggestions and get back to me. Once I have them, I'll post them here and we can discuss.

Hey everyone.

Haven't forgotten about this. Rob has been slow in getting me the names of the wines. However he did tell me that we are going to do:

Champagne

White Burgundy

Riesling

Red Burgundy

Big Red Magnum

He promised he'd email me with the real list very , very soon.

I'll pair up some munchies for the red burgundy.

I am doing the CM Burgundy class a few days before this so expect me to steal pairing ideas from Paul and Seth...in a big way......

All y'all can start giving me grief right now since I'm coming home early because I miss my :blush: significant other (and vice versa)...

Is there room for me?

Email today from Rob. He is trying to get into mouthfuls:hopefully he will be OK'd soon.

OK: (these are just flavor pairing suggestions, and in

tasting order)

Champagne: caviar, oysters, shrimp etc etc. this one is easy.

White Burgundy: pates, mousses, chicken, veal, fish, cream

sauces,

mustard sauces, tarragon, no "heat", no overly spiced.

Riesling: veal, chicken, veggies. ASIAN FOOD! sushi,

japanese

cuisine. NO HEAT, but can stand a bit of sweet.

Red Burgundy: light beef dishes, duck, gruyere cheese,

turkey, veal,

mustard, dried cherry,

Italian big guy: boar, game, venison, Oso Buoco, braised

beef. rich

big flavors. again no hot stuff.

So there you have it. Here are the people coming.

Me and John

Phil

NYTexan

Red Queen + 1

fitz and wes

memesuze

Longhorn Gal and mom

Cindy (new gal: I'll email her)

plus Rob has invited two wine geeks to help talk about the wines and pairings. They will contribute in some way as well.

Let's start talking about who does what. Looks like LHG wants to pair with the Champagne. NYT with a Burgundy (red ) Phil and RedQueen with the Italian Big Guy . Cindy wants to do the Riesling. That leaves white Burgundy and dessert. Memesuze, fitz/wes and I will duke it out!

Start your engines!!!

Hi gang!

I made it in finally. If anyone has any questions or concerns on the food and wine pairings, don't hesitate to drop me a line.

cheers,

Rob