foodie52

[Austin] Wine Dinner in August

I see that Rob has been welcomed into mouthfuls. I expect we'll hear more from him soon.

Hey Phil:

two words

short ribs.......

That leaves a Burgundy and dessert. Memesuze and I will duke it out!

Start your engines!!!

I'm better with a dessert than trying to pair with the Burgundy - but I don't see a specific listing for a pairing with dessert, or have I overlooked it? If there's nothing I need to be concerned with, I'll try to have a couple of things that will suit all these possibilities

Hmmn... did Wes and I get voted out somewhere along the line? I was just checking in to see if any food "assignments" have been made and I don't see us on the latest list of attendees, but we were still planning on coming...

I'm SO sorry...I'm not thinking straight today. Let me edit that post and ADD YOU GUYS IN!

I'm SO sorry...I'm not thinking straight today. Let me edit that post and ADD YOU GUYS IN!

:blush: Thanks!!

Short ribs it is. I am also going to prepare short ribs for the class I am going to teach November 9th at the Central Market Cooking School, so I can use this event to 'bone up' (no pun intended) on short rib ricipes.

Speaking of November 9th, I will let folks know when the Fall Schedule is available for folks to sign up for my class.

Seafood for the champagne... this may be my first ever caviar purchase! I'm on it. I love my new seafood guy, he'll make sure I get the best of what's to be gotten!

Oh, and I just re-discovered this cunning little 4 pack of what is some sort of pate that I bought in France last fall. Does anyone read french? I'll bring it along and we can toss it into the mix where appropriate.

Rita.................you're on. Start looking for recipes. I have one that has whole shallots and red wine. I've made it in the past and it's very good. Let me know what you suggest.

Hi guys,

A couple of answers here.

There is no dessert wine on the list. So that's voluntary and up to you. That reminds me that we are only going to be serving a two ounce tasting pour, basically getting fourteen pours out of one bottle, so feel free to bring along a bottle of your favorite plonk if you want to hang out and drink more wine after the tasting portion.

No need to feel slighted if you want to do a dish for a specific wine, but someone else has "snagged it". So long as we have at least one dish per wine, feel free to whip something up for whatever wine you feel inspired. It is great to have several different foods to compare and contrast with the wine.

Smoked salmon goes great with Champagne also!

I read/speak fluent french, so glad to tell you what the pate label says.

Cheers,

Rob

There is no dessert wine on the list. So that's voluntary and up to you.

Okay, so how about W and I get a good dessert wine and do an appropriate dessert along with? Doing dessert will be a not-unwelcome departure for me, and he'll like the dessert-wine hunt... :blush:

I'll take care of the white Burgundy then. We'll have two desserts because memesuze wants to do that as well. Can't have too many desserts in my book.

Wow, caviar, pate and short ribs.....it looks like everyone is bringing their A game.

NYTexan: These wines will DESERVE your A game!

Cheers,

Rob

OK, I decided to make Chicken Piperade, pulling a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Bistro Cooking at Home by Gordon Hamersley.

Changed my mind for the second dish, I will make a mushroom and Gruyere bread pudding. I have some vegetarian friends coming over this weekend so I will bring a veggie version (leftovers :blush: ) and a more decadent one with jowl bacon. I never had jowl bacon before so it will be interesting........