The Star-Ledger reached far afield with a review of the Stockton Inn, located along the Delaware River, north of Lambertville and New Hope. The inn recently reopened after a hiatus.

Appetizers start at $6.95 for the Sausolito chicken, pulled chicken with pinto beans, salsa and melted cheese in a tortilla shell that was tasty, but could have used more chicken. They go up to $12.95, the price of mussels teamed with bits of lobster, tomatoes and fresh herbs in a vivacious coconut curry sauce.

With the exception of some specials and the cast iron-seared filet mignon in a Beaujolais glace, which costs $25.95, all the fine dining en trees are less than $20. There's also a children's menu if the kids aren't in the mood for braised monkfish in saffron broth ($18.95) or the well- designed dish of pork medallions with sweet plantains and baby green tomato sauce over polenta ($17.95).

Those who fancy a Cajun touch will like Cousin Red's bayou shrimp ($19.95) in which the crustaceans join forces with spicy sausage, scal lops and mussels. Scallions, garlic and tomatoes up the ante of this dish, served over black squid-ink angel hair pasta.

Stockton Inn

This is 5 miles from my home.

I've been to th bar several times, and they have some real winners in some of their casual chices..the gazpacho, the burger is fine, w/ carm onions. I enjoyed the seafood/squid ink pasta combo as well.

I have not been for regular dinner yet..my "new" office is down the street, in Sergeantsville, so I'm sure I'll be there soon.

I've heard generally favorable reviews from the general public, the only review from a fellow "foodie" was not as positive... I'll report back after a few visits.

• 11 years later...

The 300 year old Stockton Inn is closing. It recently went through an extensive renovation in 2014. This was a really charming place. My brother had a beautiful outdoor wedding there the evening before Hurricane Sandy hit. I haven't been there since the new ownership took over. There is a lot of history there.

"Owner Mitch Millett is pitching the sale of the inn and the three surrounding acres in this tiny and bucolic Delaware River town as a potential commercial development that could combine a 45-room boutique hotel with a 250-seat banquet space and an additional 30,000 square feet of mixed-use. (The town has not approved such a development.)

The five properties, along the inn's liquor license and intellectual property, are listed for $8 million."

"Millett's decision came as a shock to staffers, who learned of the closure, planned for July 16, only in recent days. "Everyone in town feels the same way," says Alan Heckman, the restaurant's chef, a Culinary Institute of America graduate who was hired by Millett in 2015 from the Washington Crossing Inn in Bucks County, Pa., and whose Colonial-inspired cuisine has won raves.

"There's a lot of history and it's sad to see this happen to another owner," Heckman says. "It is iconic. Just driving through Stockton and coming across the bridge and seeing it on the other side is pretty remarkable."

"Then called Colligan's Stockton Inn, it operated as a speakeasy during Prohibition, and later contributed to popular music when Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart, inspired by the inn, wrote the song "There's a Small Hotel," which debuted in their 1936 musical "On Your Toes."

Legend has it that Margaret Mitchell wrote a portion of "Gone With the Wind" in the dining room while staying as a guest; many of the writers who covered the Lindbergh kidnapping and murder trial, including Damon Runyon, stayed at the inn; and other prominent guests included F. Scott Fitzgerald, Dorothy Parker, Clark Gable, Helen Hayes, Oscar Hammerstein, and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis."

http://www.nj.com/food/index.ssf/2017/07/stockton_inn_closed_new_jersey_historic_inn.html?ath=da0852adaafa0bfeede9e3bcccaad6eb#cmpid=nsltr_strybutton

Been there several times in the last few years. Heckman's food was very good. Learned about it last week, but my schedule will prevent me from going prior to July 16th.

Sad and a terrible loss.

Places like the Stockton Inn, and the Pass in nearby Rosemont have a very limited window of opportunity. They're in weekend home country, beyond the NJ Philly commuting zones. Eight or nine month season, dead during the week, part time staff.

We dined at the Pass on week nights when we were among a handful of diners. Other places, like Ship Inn, have more local traffic and promote the Cheers atmosphere. Tough to make fine dining work.