(LAS) Guy Savoy/Joel Robuchon

Though our blow-out trip to Vegas isn't until October I'm already driving myself nuts trying to decide on our BIG DINNER.

We have a reservation at Guy Savoy but hearing the costs for the tasting menu/drinks, etc. I don't see this as a possibility.

Looking around online it seems Joel Robuchon has a smaller tasting menu that might be affordable if we're careful with the wine selection...

Has anyone been to both and can give a comparison in costs/ food/service/overall experience? I've read conflicting accounts of the costs...

Our goal is to sqeak by at about $500 total for two and perhaps that's just not possible and we should cancel GS and just forget about those two places.

I know I'm making this even more difficult by saying I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to order a la carte and having a short-evening at either restaurant. I'd much rather go back to Bradley Ogden where I've had great tasting menu experiences and know we're not going to go over about $400 for two...unless the price has gone up dramatically since last year.

This meal will be my 'birthday dinner' and I'm trying to find the balance of going somewhere new and special versus having to worry about what it's costing. I really, really enjoy the tasting menu approach..so that's part of the dilemna.

Thanks for any advice!

I've never been to Guy Savoy in Vegas.

There is no way you can get out of Robuchon for under $500 for 2. The last time I went it was over twice that amount for two, mind you we had the big menu and drank pretty good wines. But even with the smaller which as I remember is $265 and mineral water you're already over the budget.

Unless, of course, by Robuchon you meant L'Atelier and not The Mansion.

I've never been to Guy Savoy in Vegas -and am not eager to go since I'm not so keen on his Paris place to begin with- so I can't really say much about it.

There is no way you can get out of Robuchon for under $500 for 2. The last time I went it was over twice that amount for two, mind you we had the big menu and drank pretty good wines. But even with the smaller which as I remember is $265 and mineral water you're already over the budget.

Unless, of course, by Robuchon you meant L'Atelier and not The Mansion.

Hi Pim,

No I wasn't thinking about L'Atelier...doesn't appeal to me to sit at a counter (not at those prices...LOL)

You're right...at $265 without a bottle of wine we're already over budget, but at least closer :)

Thanks

I've visited both. Joel Robuchon at The Mansion is more expensive, but then I had the tasting menu there and went a la carte at Guy Savoy. The wine list at Guy Savoy has a lot more reasonable selections in decent wines at reasonable prices. My meal at JR was almost double the price of that at Guy Savoy (wine included), but I drank better at JR and also ordered a lobe of foie gras cooked in a cocotte from the a la carte menu on top of the long tasting (this itself was in the $150/dish range). Interestingly, I went to JR during black truffle season and there was no surcharge to the long tasting price for dishes that included that ingredient. I should also add that the JR a la carte menu is not inexpensive. It has a lot of duplicatoin from the tasting menus. The a la carte at Guy Savoy, one could choose items that are less expensive (I have already discussed this) and those are not necessarily the less appealing dishes (particularly in the appetizer section).

I have also been to Bradley Ogden. I think the food at JR and Guy Savoy has higher ambitions. However, I would rather order less expensively at Guy Savoy a la carte and be careful on wines, than order opulently at Bradley Ogden. :)

I've visited both. Joel Robuchon at The Mansion is more expensive, but then I had the tasting menu there and went a la carte at Guy Savoy. The wine list at Guy Savoy has a lot more reasonable selections in decent wines at reasonable prices. My meal at JR was almost double the price of that at Guy Savoy (wine included), but I drank better at JR and also ordered a lobe of foie gras cooked in a cocotte from the a la carte menu on top of the long tasting (this itself was in the $150/dish range). Interestingly, I went to JR during black truffle season and there was no surcharge to the long tasting price for dishes that included that ingredient. I should also add that the JR a la carte menu is not inexpensive. It has a lot of duplicatoin from the tasting menus. The a la carte at Guy Savoy, one could choose items that are less expensive (I have already discussed this) and those are not necessarily the less appealing dishes (particularly in the appetizer section).

I have also been to Bradley Ogden. I think the food at JR and Guy Savoy has higher ambitions. However, I would rather order less expensively at Guy Savoy a la carte and be careful on wines, than order opulently at Bradley Ogden. :)

***Cabrales: Thank you for your very thoughtful replies. Yes, it does seem the only way to eat at either GS or JR is a la carte (with caution) at GS. I guess the question for me is do I have the restraint to do that or will I be looking enviously at other diners enjoying the tasting menus...LOL.

Also, I don't want to be rushed through dinner just because we're ordering 'small'....LOL

Both JR and GS seem to turn tables.

Bradley Ogden has some sort of multiple dish tasting menus (with different numbers of dishes), and wine pairings, at reasonable prices. The dishes were properly executed, and the wines appropriately matched (although less expensive wines). You could easily dine at BOgden for under $180-200/person all in. I wouldn't go there over Guy Savoy, though.

Both JR and GS seem to turn tables.

Bradley Ogden has some sort of multiple dish tasting menus (with different numbers of dishes), and wine pairings, at reasonable prices. The dishes were properly executed, and the wines appropriately matched (although less expensive wines). You could easily dine at BOgden for under $180-200/person all in. I wouldn't go there over Guy Savoy, though.

***I may have mentioned that I've been to Bradley Ogden twice and done the full-out tasting menu both times. Yes, $200 PP including tax/tip are what I remember and no complaints whatsoever. Even got a kitchen tour on my second visit.

Just for variety I do want to try JR or GS but, as you can read, there are some pretty strong opinions from posters...people I have come to respect for their perspective.

Your idea for a la carte is probably the best bet as far as expense....Many thanks! I'll keep reading the posts as they come in and see how I feel. I must admit I'm a bit intrigued with the idea of the smaller tasting menu at JR IF that still falls somewhere close to $500/$500 for the two of us.

My own thoughts are: Wait until another trip to consider the full experience at JR. But you are talking to somebody who would rather have one expensive meal and ten meals of cheese, than have three so-so meals and eight meals of cheese, if I were forced to choose. You can also ask whether JR will be in the kitchen if you ask reasonably shortly before you go. He is sometimes in the kitchen, and I suspect that might be desirable for a splurge choice later.

I didn't think the JR meal was excellent -- it had no obvious flaws and was appropriate, but I did not particularly enjoy his cuisine style. That's not to say it's not good, just that it didn't seem special to me.

My own thoughts are: Wait until another trip to consider the full experience at JR. But you are talking to somebody who would rather have one expensive meal and ten meals of cheese, than have three so-so meals and eight meals of cheese, if I were forced to choose. You can also ask whether JR will be in the kitchen if you ask reasonably shortly before you go. He is sometimes in the kitchen, and I suspect that might be desirable for a splurge choice later.

I didn't think the JR meal was excellent -- it had no obvious flaws and was appropriate, but I did not particularly enjoy his cuisine style. That's not to say it's not good, just that it didn't seem special to me.

***I don't think the solution is waiting for another trip as the real issue for me is if I (we) could ever enjoy a meal costing $1000. It's simply too far beyond our own personal comfort zone...which is a very individual and subjective subject. We don't blink at a great $300 dinner but sometimes go-it alone as some of our friends can't imagine that cost.

Another part of the equation is something you touched upon....will we really LOVE either style of cooking at these two restaurants. I am reminded of a trip to Paris many years ago when our friends (who DO spend a fortune on meals and generally have similar taste) said we simply MUST dine at Pierre Gagnaire and Arpege.

Well, the meal at Pierre Gagnaire ($500) was "OK but nothing fantastic" we decided to cancel Arpege and our concierge was able to book a table at Taillevent where we had our very first truely amazing meal in France on our first trip.....now realize I'm going back a good 15+ years.

Despite the passage of time and the many new 'hot' restaurants that were now open our meal was fantastic...I can't begin to tell you how wonderful the whole experience was. So, we all have a definite idea of what makes a great meal.

I can name a few places that are 'as good as it gets' for me: Charlie Trotter/Inn At Little Washington/Spago(as good last month as the month it opened)/French Laundry/Bradley Ogden...and, with thanks to Molto E if you're reading this...Binkley's in Arizona.

Also, here in Seattle we have Mistral which is absolutely exquisite.

GS and JR are 'unknowns' to us at this point and on these boards there are certainly strong arguments for each side. Perhaps getting our feet wet on the a la carte menu at GS, as you initially suggested, might be the best choice after all.

Again, Cabrales, thanks for your thoughts...and to everyone who contributed!

Well, the meal at Pierre Gagnaire ($500) was "OK but nothing fantastic" we decided to cancel Arpege and our concierge was able to book a table at Taillevent where we had our very first truely amazing meal in France on our first trip.....now realize I'm going back a good 15+ years.

This was over 15 years ago? :)

You should probably forgive already and give them another try, no? :)

Getting back on my Robuchon meal, frankly, I am not entirely sure it was worth it. Unlike Cabrales's meal mine had some obvious flaw. The high notes, however, were quite amazing, so the meal ended up something a puzzle. It certainly isn't worth going back. Once is probably enough, for me, at least.

In the end, I guess you should do whatever you think is most comfortable for you.

This was over 15 years ago? :)

You should probably forgive already and give them another try, no? :)

Getting back on my Robuchon meal, frankly, I am not entirely sure it was worth it. Unlike Cabrales's meal mine had some obvious flaw. The high notes, however, were quite amazing, so the meal ended up something a puzzle. It certainly isn't worth going back. Once is probably enough, for me, at least.

In the end, I guess you should do whatever you think is most comfortable for you.

***When I wrote "going back 15 + years ago" I was referring to our very first trip to France...which was sometime around 1980. We've been to Paris a few times since then.

I was trying to be tactful about our meal at PG...in truth the entire experience was disappointing enough for me to say I wouldn't go back. Very cold service/room quiet as a library/not a welcoming feeling in any way. And, no, we are not loud-Americans and I did my best to converse in French as far as the basics...