Tom Waits

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has he put out any albums which sound different than the other ones?

(I have nothing against him, but can't imagine why I would ever need more Tom Waits albums.)

you sir, are an ass, an idiot.

by which i mean that if you can't distinguish between early 70s's waits, late 70s waits, 80s waits, early 90s waits and late 90s/2000s waits, you are an ass, an idiot. to help your condition i may need to send you a cd.

Has he put out any albums which sound different than the other ones?

(I have nothing against him, but can't imagine why I would ever need more Tom Waits albums.)

You need to see Waits live. Then, if you decide you like his current voice, you will treasure the sameness. If you dig into the CDs, you will find variations a-plenty. OTOH, if you don't like the current voice, you'll probably feel the need to buy some mouthwash.

yes, well, rembrandt painted a lot of portraits.

to be more specific: among his recent albums "mule variations" is quite distinct from "alice", though continuities are obviously present.

Edited by mongo_jones

I'm so happy that Mongo and I agree on something like Tom Waits. And Wilfrid's assinesss. <infectious giggle!>

I think he's brilliant. Alice is great but Blood Money left me cold. But often all his do at first. Is there a better album by anyone than Mule Variations. No! I think not!

His last album was called Real Gone and I haven't had a chance to really enjoy it yet. I think I should put it on my portable and live with it a few days.

Off the top of my head, I love:

grapefruit Moon (this song just sends me to the moon)

Ruby's Arms

A Foreign Affair

I Never talk to strangers

Big Black Mariah

Innocent When you dream

The briar and the rose

I'm sure there are dozens more.

Can you guess this singer? She's doing

Take it with me when you go

rancho gordo, here's my most recent playlist:

Step Right Up

Chocolate Jesus

16 Shells From A Thirty-Ought-Six

Cemetery Polka

Fumblin' With The Blues

Underground

Tango Till They're Sore

Table Top Joe

Frank's Wild Years

Christmas Card From Hooker In Minneapolis

Invitation To The Blues

New Coat Of Paint

Downtown

Clap Hands

Swordfishtrombone

Alice

Blue Valentines

Come On Up To The House

i need to get "frank's wild years" on cd--it has one of my favourite waits songs: "cold, cold ground".

the other albums i am missing on cd are: "foreign affairs", "big time", "bone machine", "the black rider", "blood money" and "real gone".

rancho gordo, here's my most recent playlist:

Step Right Up

Chocolate Jesus

16 Shells From A Thirty-Ought-Six

Cemetery Polka

Fumblin' With The Blues

Underground

Tango Till They're Sore

Table Top Joe

Frank's Wild Years

Christmas Card From Hooker In Minneapolis

Invitation To The Blues

New Coat Of Paint

Downtown

Clap Hands

Swordfishtrombone

Alice

Blue Valentines

Come On Up To The House

i need to get "frank's wild years" on cd--it has one of my favourite waits songs: "cold, cold ground".

the other albums i am missing on cd are: "foreign affairs", "big time", "bone machine", "the black rider", "blood money" and "real gone".

That sounds like a good show, although Postcard from a hooker almost suffers from a high school Creative Writing class syndrome. Almost.

I just love Black Rider. Foreign Affairs is very beautiful. Big Time has some of the trasppings of a rock show and the fact that he mostly avoids that otherwise is what appeals to me, so I don't care for that album much.

My dad took me to see him in the late 1970s. Rikki Lee opened. He was a mess but I've been in love ever since.