Didn't work until I graduated high school. Then I got a job in a children's room at the local independent bookstore for $5.75 an hour. I made literary recommendations to parents who wanted to teach their children about Christianity (Narnia), peer pressure (The Chocolate War--I got in trouble for that rec but I stand by it, since it's one of my all-time favorite YA books), drugs (Go Ask Alice--also got in trouble), and sex (could never think of one that wouldn't get me in trouble).

It sucked. I lasted about 3 months.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from babysitting and occasionally getting paid to help my mom cater special events (she ran a cafeteria), my first official job (two summers in high school) was renting televisions to patients in a hospital. In those days I had to push the TVs around on a cart and hoist them up to install them where requested (I recall that I got very strong doing this). I even had to install them in burn units and in delivery rooms. It was commission-based, a captive audience for a monopoly service, and the hours were extremely flexible.

First full-time job: Working at a company that named other companies and products, doing business name registration clearances, title searches and other mundane paralegal tasks.

Most stupid job: First year uni summer job, writing, directing and acting in a video to teach tolerance toward Aboriginal persons. None of us who were hired to do this video were of Aboriginal origin, making the whole make-work project pointless.

Oddest job: Pound Puppy Caretaker.

Fly

First job - I was a twelve year old commercial artist in my dad's studio where I mastered the art of rub-off type, paste up, setting slides for slide shows, basic mechanical inking, photostats, etc....there wasn't always MS Publisher or Powerpoint ya know.

I started babysitting at around 11 and I also got a paper route around the same time. My sisters and I had quite the babysitting cartel.

My first "real" job was when I was 15, I landed a job as the counter girl at a "French Bakery" in the mall.

Summer vacation job in my teens as messenger working for a shipping office on the Isle of Dogs - oops, Docklands. Great job: walked all over London, taking documents back and forth between embassies and consulates and the Customs House on Lower Thames Street. Listened to Test matches on a portable transistor radio - remember them?

Lunch was sandwiches on crusty bread and pints of bitter in a pub on the Isle, or a curry at an East End Indian caff. And I do mean caff.

Downside: spectacular water blisters.

Working in an Acme food market at age 15. My sphere of "responsibility" was the soda and snack foods aisle. The route men who delivered Coke, Pepsi, chip, pretzels, etc would tip me to make sure their space was kept filled between visits. Made more money on tips than on wages.

I often lowered prices. Back then, each can or bottle had its own price individually marked with a label gun or stamper. The Coke guy would pay more (to me) when he returned the following week to find all of his product had been shelved and sold. Unlike today, there was no central MIS to scan prices, monitor volumes, and catch people like me who were running their own scams