• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a job as a bartender, but only lasted one shift. I was told to pull myself a pint if I felt like it. I think I felt like it a bit too often. :blush:

Just remembered my second job (sorry, wrong thread, etc). Nightmare. Clerk at a high street bank, under compulsion from my father. Charged with sorting paper clips by size, and placing statements in pre-addressed envelopes. A lot of people got the wrong statements that month. I soon started playing hookey and spending the day in the park or at the cinema. Gave notice before the statement scandal broke, and let my mother break the news.

Had an article accepted by the NME and became a music journalist instead, thank god.

Dishwasher at a steakhouse. There was a surley, drunken executive chef, pain in the ass busboys that piled up the dishes and I got my firt attempt to cook for the masses, :blush:

After babysitting (mostly for relatives): clerk in the mail order department of Macmillan, the publishers. I entered orders in a big ledger book. Very Dickensian/Melvillean.

Then later in high school, worked after school and during the summer in the registrar's office of the New York Institute of Technology (my mother was registrar at the time). In college, taught Jewish Sunday school :blush:; was a radio dispatcher for the college security office; and a clerk in the office of the Phys Ed department (all the phys ed teachers knew me because I had to keep taking their courses until I had enough coursework to pass the requirement; I could never actually DO the stuff we were supposed to, like swim or be able to run so many times around the track in some ridiculously short period of time.) And I spent one term building costumes at McCarter Theater, and another two as an all-purpose techie (sets and props, ASM, etc.) for the college's professional summer theater.

first job: librarian at a sleepy airforce base. i was 14 years old and paid rs. 50 a month. purely ceremonial job to keep me out of trouble while on vacation from boarding school. 2 months.

second job: advertizing copywriter at mudra, delhi. 2 years.

third job: assistant-lecturer of composition. kind of like breaking rocks in the sun. 5 years.

fourth job: various overlapping, fluid job titles at a dot-bomb. good fun, good pay, and we outlasted almost all our clients. 4 years.

fifth job: a salt mine in colorado. 3 years and counting.

trying to work my way up to a combination rodeo clown/exotic animal wrangler.

baby sitting for my first cousins, snow shoveling and a paper route are all lumped together as "first jobs."

In HS, I spent a few weeks in a machine shop that some distant relative owned..I got off on the wrong foot. When I was hired, I was told it was a normal 8 hour day with 1/2 hour for lunch. First day, I showed up a little early 8:30 or so. Guy asked, "where the f*** have you been? I said, home; sleeping..where else would I be? He told me hours were 7AM to 3:30; but no one had told me. Apparently, he didn't like me much because they put me on some kind of machine (milling..I think) Another guy explained that I should be very careful because with most saws, it would cut your hand...and knock you away but this machine would pull your whole arm in..Even the veterans were surprised by this. At 17, for minimum wage I liked both my arms :blush: ..spent the rest of the summer unloading boxcars at a warehouse in Floral Park.

paper route at 12, in order to buy photography equipment.

15 - 18, sports photography

18 - 21, mostly summers, short order cook and counterman at the Milk Maid on Mamoroneck Avenue in White Plains

also 18 - 21, mostly vacations, assistant in a commercial photography studio doing fashion and rock stars

also 18 - 21, photography of my friends' girlfriends, weddings, bar mitzvahs

Besides babysitting....

I lasted one day the Publishers Clearing House sorting contest entries. It was miserable, mindless work. But you'd be amazed at the stuff people enclosed such as letters explaining why they should win and photos of themselves.

I also spent part of one summer working at Random House as a fact checker for Bryan Miller's restaurant guide.

I need a God damn job

I need a God damn job

I really need a God damn job

I need a God damn job

God dammit

God dammit

God damn, I need a God damn job

Usual pre-jobs like finding and returning coke bottles for deposit money, baby sitting, delivering circulars, mowing lawns, selling Mary Carter Paint door to door.

Server, Dairy Queen.

Shopboy, local paper (cleaning, post office runs, "jogging" papers, i.e., manually inserting inside sections into outer section).

Sackboy, grocery store.

Ride operator, Six Flags Over Texas.

Seasonal Assistant/Sub-carrier, US Post Office.

Library assistant, undergrad library.

Staff member, Texas Ranger magazine.

Breaking down film prints from larger reels to 50 footers for sale.

Correcting addresses on subscription orders for Petersen Publishing.

Eligibility Worker, Department of Public Social Services.

Budget Analyst, DPSS.

Library assistant, law school.

Law clerk.

Lawyer.

edit: left out a part time summer gig as a scorer for little league somewhere near the top third of the stack. Hey! The sun got in my eyes.

I say FEH to all your cushy white collar jobs.

Compulsory seasonal jobs, during my communism years:

1st (15 y.o.) - Wire-stringer for hop fields. Hops grow on temporary vertical wires suspended from high-hanging permanent horizontal wires. My job was to attach a hook to the end of a wire, hook it onto the end of a 15-ft forked aluminum pole, then maneuvering the pole, attach the hook to the horizontal wire above. (NOT SO EASY and you have to be strong, but I was.) The wire then gets cut, the loose end poked into the ground with a special poker thing. Oh yeah, Chernobyl happened right before we were sent out into the fields. Ha ha.

2nd - sick potato plant puller-upper. You walk behind a tractor which pulls a cart, and when you see a sick potato plant you pull it up and toss it on the cart. The worst sunburn of my life.

3rd - young hop plant tender. Once the hops have grown a foot or so, you break off all but the two strongest shoots, and wind them clockwise (important)around the vertical wire.

4th - Brewery worker - initially, I was putting empty beer bottles into crates but was soon transfered to the kitchen where I put on about 10 lbs in 3 weeks. My colleagues pressed about 10 bottles of beer for me daily to take home to "dad". My boyfriend had a good summer that year.

5th - Worker on a (metal) finishing lathe, making parts for air control systems. (One of the big fears in late-stage Communist society was that kids studying in academic-oriented high schools will get all fancy-like and divorced from the reality of the working class, so factory stints became compulsory for a while. Those were fun; we didn't work much and drank lots of beer with the other workers.)

6th - Hops harvester. You were standing on a platform truck slowly going between the rows of hanging hops. and harvested them by shaking them off the wires and pulling the loose ends from the ground. This was a right of passage and compulsory for anyone who got accepted to university. In the evening, hardly any supervision, hence plenty of booze (mostly beer, to the production of which we were contributing) and sex. We'd all just turned 18. Really, a great way to spend 3 summer weeks.

The rest of my early jobs - and I had lots - were pretty dull by comparison. Aren't you sorry you didn't have communism.

ch10.jpg

You ALWAYS fall in love with your fellow hop-tender...

Ugly, pimply, fat frizzy-haired "basket girl" at the pool.

Could there be a worse job for a teenager with low self-esteem? Surrounded daily by patrons made up of your better-looking peers, not to mention the beautiful golden-brown lifegaurds and lifeguardesses?

Here's your basket, that safety-pin thingy with the number on it, and my shameful humiliation. That'll be seventy-five cents, please. :blush:

I never heard of baby sitters in Puerto Rico as I grew up. There was always some unemployed family member or the mother able to do that. Never thought of this until now.

At 12 or 13 worked adding up inventories for a local chain of drug stores fulltime. First year was at $1.90 /hr. Made $76.00 per week before deductions that first year.