First jobs (excluding the brief grapepicking tenure at 15), ages 15-22-waitressing-local seafood place, Italian restaurants-I remember that with my very first paycheck , I got some shoes (sexy sandals). I think that I was a good waitress (always checking on my customers, paid attention to their drinks, tried to think ahead...). I haven't been a waitress for a long time, but I still have 'waitress' dreams-5 parties, multiple drink orders, where's their food? (almost like 'school' dreams, you have a test & haven't been to the class all semester). When I go out to eat, I tip very well...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first summer I had working papers, I was employed by the State of N.J., as was every other teenager in Trenton, as a file clerk for the unemployment insurance office.

My first job out of college was writing blurbs for TV Guide local listings.

Okay, first job, I would stuff inserts into the little local weekly newspaper on Wednesday nights. Sometimes I got to stick the address labels on the folded papers and bag them before they were taken to the post office. Second job, I worked as a busboy at a Southern Baptist summer retreat center. To get out of it, I started working for the Special Activities Director as her assistant. We did all the parties, then after work we would go up to the graveyard and smoke cigarettes and drink beer. Summer of love.

Fourth Job: Also known as the Best Job Ever. I ran off with the builder who did the reno on the car lot for the new currency exchange. I was basically an Office Manager/Personal Assistant. This was a very cushy job. AR, AP, payroll, some lite marketing, some errands. Other than that, I just sat around in a beautiful model home and played on the Internet all day--this was when and where I stumbled upon eGullet.

The hardest part about this job was keeping the boss's women straight. I had a Sticky-Note of their names, any distinguishing physical features, and hobbies hidden underneath the keyboard of my computer, and whenever one of them "stopped by," I'd peek at the note and say shit like: "Julie! Jim was just talking about you! He'll be right back. How's the scrap-booking?" He loved me.

Shit, Nero, get the screenplay--or at least the treatment--out now! Could be the next Nine to Five.

I had the same reaction when I caught Nero's mention of "dabbling in repo". This whole story cries out for a screenplay.

No one else worked in the lab?

I was a dollar a day at what was then the National Bureau of Standards. It didn't quite buy lunch, but I learned scientific glassblowing and a couple of other things.

Oh, just the occasional test-subject stint in psychological studies (no medical stuff, too young).

One of my college friends did that but he tended to confuse the results. He performed better after sleep deprivation since the experiment also entailed pot deprivation.

Skills that I'm sure you put to use on a daily basis.

The couple of other things, yes, I do. Upon reflection, I use them in the kitchen as well as at work.

I did a lot of glass work in the subsequent years; I used to do a lot of gas phase chemistry and you make a lot of your own equipment. But there is less of that in the mix these days, things are much wetter.

Edited by SFJoe